Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Therma cell?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Question Therma cell?

I am going to be in OR for elk opener in sept. does any body know if a thermacell would be in order or not? What do I need to expect? Mosqitoes,black flies, no-seeums,ticks? Just a wonder, if anybody knows.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would take it just to be safe. I would rather have it, and not have to use it, then not have it and wish I did.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I would take it just to be safe. I would rather have it, and not have to use it, then not have it and wish I did.

Same here. I won't enter the woods in the early fall without my Thermacell.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 AM

Man I won't going hunting without it. I love mine, and seems like the bugs are REALLY bad this year
Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I bought one last year and used it only a couple times. I found that the odor it put off when burning the little pads was very pungent. If i can smell it that much, you know damn well that every deer within 200 yards down wind is also getting a nice whiff of it too.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never enter the woods without mine! I had it running inside my car earlier this week with the drivers window open when I was doing some filming and I had deer come up within 3 yards of the car. I don't think that are bothered by the oder from it that much.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

If im going to the woods im gonna have one Ive had several deer come withing spitting range of me with the therma cell running and it never bothered them.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

People have also had deer come close to the stand while smoking cigarettes, doesn't mean that it's a good idea. What you don't see is the deer who catch wind of you 200 yards out and turn away. There is actually some since to this whole "scent control" thing.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM

I would take it along with a few extra packs of wafers and fuel just in case...heck even if you only use around the camp. Can deer smell it..absolutely but I do not think it is an alarming scent to MOST deer. I have had numerous deer come to me from downwind with it turned on, watch them stretch and scent check the air but continue on towards me. When it is hot, I still like to get to my stand plenty early to cool down and get settled and it is turned on then however, alot of times, I will turn it off and put it away the last 30 min to 1 hr of hunting light just in case an older buck comes around and doesn't like the smell...I can still handle at least 1 hr of skeeters but I don't like 3-4 hrs of 'em
Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, take it and yes deer can smell it but they can also smell that pack of crackers you brought with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.