Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Windproof Camo...noisy? >

Windproof Camo...noisy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Windproof Camo...noisy?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Windproof Camo...noisy?

I was wondering if windproof camo is a more noisy camo to wear. I didn't know if it would be pretty noisy like walking around or into your stands to set up.

Thanks,
Kash
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Default RE: Windproof Camo...noisy?

It will depend on the material. Some materials like Goretex and eVent are pretty quiet really and rather windproof and waterproof, but your typical PVC rain suit is super noisy - though it will also be wind and water proof.

One of the real big problems I've found is that most hunting gear isn't as good as it could be. Some of it is really nice, but most isn't that good. Here's why. Camo patterns are expensive, there are excellent materials and designs for most every type of gear a hunter could want if you go to a good backpacking store, but none of it will be in camo. It's simply too expensive to make with the camo fabrics. Think about the price difference between a long sleeve t-shirt and the same style in "X pattern" of camo - the camo one costs a bit more.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a drizzle, you will need rain gear that is pretty quiet to keep from being detected while you draw your bow or when walking to your stand. The deer where I hunt are skiddish so I have done some things to eliminate the sound of my rain gear, even though the light rain gear I own is very quiet. Put some fleece or something over your rain gear so when you draw it will be silent. The outer gear will get wet, yet the rain gear will protect everything beneath it from getting wet.

If you have to ramp up to heavy rain gear b/c it is pouring, it really will not matter how loud the dang stuff is because the sound of the rain will cover the noise. You can also put on another jacket over your heavy rain gear to reduce the noise.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Austin makes a valid point. GOOD wind/rain gear is out there. It's also VERY expensive in camo (and pretty darned expensive, otherwise, if you get good quality).

I have REALLY good raingear from my golf days. I'll wear it under my ASAT leafy suit if it gets terrible, but for the most part I use my tree umbrella in the rain.......and stay home when it's REALLY windy (30mph+).
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Austin makes a valid point. GOOD wind/rain gear is out there. It's also VERY expensive in camo (and pretty darned expensive, otherwise, if you get good quality).

I have REALLY good raingear from my golf days. I'll wear it under my ASAT leafy suit if it gets terrible, but for the most part I use my tree umbrella in the rain.......and stay home when it's REALLY windy (30mph+).
Both GMMAT and Virginiashadow here have it right, about the best way to go is wearing good stuff under lighter weight camo clothing. The leafy suit is great because they are normally very lightweight and meant to be worn over other layers.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the ideas.....I will have to try and just wear some rain gear under my leafywear or something.

Thanks,
Kash