Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food plots..

Old 06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Food plots..

I'm growing a food plot this year and I'm wondering if and/or when you should mow/wheedwhack it down...?
The one plot is mostly rye grass with some brassicas and rape forage.. the other is a plot of Clover Plus... do either of these need to be mowed down..? It seems that a few weeds have come back in the plot and I dont want them to overrun the area....

So, you tell me fod plots guys, to mow or not to mow..?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Food plots..

I don't know how mowing is gonna help, it will knock down your growth and the weeds will come back anyway. I'd let it be and maybe use a weed killer, next year 10-14 days prior to planting.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

I've actually been told that you should cut your perennials at least once if not twice a growing season, stuff like clover or alfalfa the brassicas and rape forage I would leave alone since those are annual blends.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I don't know how mowing is gonna help, it will knock down your growth and the weeds will come back anyway. I'd let it be and maybe use a weed killer, next year 10-14 days prior to planting.
You can use a weed killer but that can get costly.

You should keep clover mowed, just not to low, mowing will cut the seed heads off the weeds preventing them from over taking your plot.

I do see blends as the way to go when starting plots.[:@]
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Everything I'm reading says to not let it get much over 8". That's the advice I'll be utilizing, this fall. We'll have at least a couple acres planted for winter usage.

Good Luck.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay well thank you, admins,for moving this topic back into the bowhunting thread where it will actually get answered. I appreciate it. When we talk about "bowhunting" we all know it is much more than just topics about bows and arrows. And whether it be food plots or what ATV to buy, it is all for my bowhunting SEASON... so thank you..

Now on to the topic.. Contrary to what you said daveyrock, my clover is a perennial (meaning it can grow subsequent years without replanting)...
The one plot is just thro n' gro, so its a mix of brassicas, rape forage and mostly rye grass... The rye grass I know I could wheedwhack down, but if I do will that kill the forage and the brassicas...?

It also seems that part of the food plot have hit a plateu and they will not grow any further.. I was thinking that by whacking them down a bit, and replenishing the soil with the nutrients from the decaying plant that it might grow a bit better... I'm new to food plotting... i've just been at it the past two years... so any help is appreciated.. I'm doing this solely on what I believe is true, and I've neevr been shown the proper way to make an adequate food plot...

I'm also doing these food plots in a not so easy to get to spot.. and I dont have the proper tools that I need to complete the job.. so I'm trying to make due...
Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Whitetails will also seek out the plants with the most nutrients in them. They'll opt for a fertilized, mowed area over a non fertilized non mowed area, because the new growth contains more nutrients. Tidbit I picked up, doing my research.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks GMMAT, I was hoping that some people would suggest mowing it down.. I'm going to cut some of the stuff down to like you said, about 8".. Then I'll see how the regrowth is from there..

Something I've noticed too, is that whitetails love a freshly tilled dirt area... they flock to it for some reason, whether it be nutrients in the soil, or just an open area to run, they love fresh dirt patches... Last year I had hundreds of pictures of bucks and does and fawns doing laps upon laps around the freshly planted food plot.. sometimes for over an hour at a time...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whack it!
CRABS