Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters >

To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Crossbows became legal here in VA several years back. The first season it was a buzz...but has since faded big timr.It hasn't affected me at all...except that one of my neighbors can now actuallykill the deer he's shooting at, rather than gimp em all. I know several guys that immediately went out and bought a $1000 rig...because its gonna be soooo much easier. LOL, most still haven't killed one. Can't stop progress....I wouldn't sweat it too much. I be much more worried about Obama right now than crossbow hunters.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Can you show me hard facts? Arkansas has had them that long and I bet its 20-1 compounds over crossbows, I just never see one in the woods.
I live in Texas but hunt in Arkansas and Texas. I looked at the stats in response to a similiar thread on another Texas specific forum, and for the last few years, crossbows are about 30% of the total archery kill in Arkansas.

I don't have a problem with Crossbows in Texas like a lot of people. I hunt with a compound, and wouldn't hunt with a xbow myself, but I don't think it will create all of the problems that a lot of my fellow Texas bowhunters think it will.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone else find it amazing that even though the number of folks on this site has dwindled down to a fraction of what it used to be, we still manage to keep enough narrow-minded, self-serving, biased, egotisticalfellows in the mix to perpetuate the same old worn out arguments?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the Ohio DNR websight

Crossbow deer kills for 2007-2008 42292
Verticle Bows 36347

But from my woods time I'd put the actual numbers afield much more skewed than this.

It's my opinion, that less skilled hunters take up the crossbow as a quick fix to get into the woods.

THIS DOES NOT REFLECT, those of you serious about the sport. Those of you that are serious enough to join a web based sight and talk about your passion 24/7/365. This is not a dig in anyway, just the percieved easy way out for many, weekend warriors.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

On the Ohio DNR websight

Verticle Bows 36347

But from my woods time I'd put the actual numbers afield much more skewed than this.

It's my opinion, that less skilled hunters take up the crossbow as a quick fix to get into the woods.

THIS DOES NOT REFLECT, those of you serious about the sport. Those of you that are serious enough to join a web based sight and talk about your passion 24/7/365. This is not a dig in anyway, just the percieved easy way out for many, weekend warriors.
GR8,

This is an honest question on my part. Exactly what is "bad" about the statement above? Crossbow hunters. To me it seems that there are some who will never be good with a compound, let alone a trad bow. There are some who love archery but are physically unable to draw a bow. There are others, who some would call lazy, who may simply want more of a challenge than gun hunting but don't want to step it up to a compound or trad bow for what-ever reason or they take up a crossbow simply because they want the additional time in the woods. Then there are others who simply prefer a crossbow. Again, I ask what is wrong with that?

Personally, I believe that we should encourage EVERYONE using ANY LEGAL MEANS to hunt as much as possible. What I see in the vast majority of the younger "up and coming" generation is very little to no interest in hunting, if not outright disdain for the sport. If we don't finda way - any way - to up our numbers and expose more young ones to this way of life, it will be gone someday. There won't be enough of us left to fight for it.

Jeez, deer hunters really need to find a way to come together and stop nit-pickingand arguing over which method of killing a deer is superior. I suppose that'll never happen. We are human after all, and we'll probably continue to dig our own graves until it's simply too late.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

On the Ohio DNR websight

Verticle Bows 36347

GR8,

This is an honest question on my part. Exactly what is "bad" about the statement above? Crossbow hunters. To me it seems that there are some who will never be good with a compound, let alone a trad bow. There are some who love archery but are physically unable to draw a bow. There are others, who some would call lazy, who may simply want more of a challenge than gun hunting but don't want to step it up to a compound or trad bow for what-ever reason or they take up a crossbow simply because they want the additional time in the woods. Then there are others who simply prefer a crossbow. Again, I ask what is wrong with that?

Personally, I believe that we should encourage EVERYONE using ANY LEGAL MEANS to hunt as much as possible. What I see in the vast majority of the younger "up and coming" generation is very little to no interest in hunting, if not outright disdain for the sport. If we don't finda way - any way - to up our numbers and expose more young ones to this way of life, it will be gone someday. There won't be enough of us left to fight for it.

Jeez, deer hunters really need to find a way to come together and stop nit-pickingand arguing over which method of killing a deer is superior. I suppose that'll never happen. We are human after all, and we'll probably continue to dig our own graves until it's simply too late.
This argument has been explored in a ton of threads and pages of arguments to no avail over the years...I am not going to go into pros or cons about anything to do with crossbows vs compounds vs trad gear....I have them all, and I use them all; the one thing that you all need to focus on is your right to even hunt with any weapon...the last thing that needs to happen is to have hunters argue on a hunting website over the use of weapons.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is nothing wrong with the Statement. I just didn't want to make a statement that gave an impression that all Crossbow hunters are less skilled or lazy. Some people like to read into others posts and disect every word. I know some very fine Hunters who choose a crossbow because it's a fun weapon to shoot and hunt with.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: targethogs

On the Ohio DNR websight

Verticle Bows 36347

GR8,

This argument has been explored in a ton of threads and pages of arguments to no avail over the years...I am not going to go into pros or cons about anything to do with crossbows vs compounds vs trad gear....I have them all, and I use them all; the one thing that you all need to focus on is your right to even hunt with any weapon...the last thing that needs to happen is to have hunters argue on a hunting website over the use of weapons.
I believe we are in total agreement, aren't we?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: targethogs

On the Ohio DNR websight

Verticle Bows 36347

GR8,

I believe we are in total agreement, aren't we?
Yes we are
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing wrong with the Statement. I just didn't want to make a statement that gave an impression that all Crossbow hunters are less skilled or lazy. Some people like to read into others posts and disect every word. I know some very fine Hunters who choose a crossbow because it's a fun weapon to shoot and hunt with.
It wasn't my intent to disect your post, GR8. I certainly didn't disect every word. I took a complete statement at what appeared to be face value. If I misunderstood your meaning, then I apologize. I am not arguing for or against crossbows here. I'm arguing for hunting by any legal means. Period. My point remains. Even if someone chose to usea crossbowbecause they really are too lazy to learn to use a vertical bow, why should I care about that? It's their choice, and what I think shouldn't andin reality doesn't matter at all.Besides, like someone else said earlier, maybe they'll actually kill their deer instead of "gimping" them. (I found that choice of words amusing.) Either way, at least they are out hunting.

Quick Reply: To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.