Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters >

To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

It won't affect your hunt one bit unless you're the one using it. Indiana has allowed them for years, and I have yet to encounter anyone using one in any woods I've hunted, including public land. Much ado over nothing.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hog Killer

Here are the people that we must tell to keep bow season for the archers and for the handicap archers and not for the lazy.
Hog Killer,
I am fairly sure that not all crossbow hunters are lazy. I would also guees there a several compound bowhunters that ARE lazy. Generalizations are not good to make, especailly without facts to back them up.

I had the opportunity to make a trip to the great state of Texas this spring for a turkey hunt. Guys were using shotguns and compound bows. I was using a crossbow. I was not accused of being lazy by anyone there. I effectively harvested two turkeys and nearly everyone in camp asked about the crossbow and several shot it. The guys shooting the compounds didn't accuse me of being lazy either and they shot it and liked it as well.

Don't assume that just because some one wants to use a different type of archery equipment than you, that they are lazy or a bad hunter. I would bet that at some point the guys that shoot trad bows called all the compound bow guys lazy as well, but guess what, not all of them are.

Crossbows are coming and are just another form of archery equipment, just maybe not yours. Your hunt will not change a lick because a guy a mile away from you is using a crossbow. What the crossbow will do is keep some older bowhunters out there longer and it will also get some new people invovled in the sport. If you think that is bad or wrong, then you have bigger issues than a definition of "bowhunting".

Randy
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohio has allowed them since the 80's. Compound shooters are the minority in this state.

PA is just allowing them this year.

The initial rush will be huge and then it will slowly even out. It's not your State Reps, or the DNR driving it, make no mistake. It's the cross-bow manufacturers! My advice to you is this, scarf up every cross-bow you can find and sell them as soon as the law passes. You can't fight city hall, but you can profit from thier decisions...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hammerman

I really don't see the big deal with it. I know people that shoot one due to shoulder injuries and I don't see that it increases their chances of shooting a deer. Also I haven't seen that they are more accurate than me at the range. If they are ethical hunters it really doesn't extend their range in which they can shoot, 40-45 yards should be the longest shot. I'm not saying I'm for it and hope it stays for people with disabilities here in Illinois but if it changes it's not a big deal. JMO
This is a very true statement. The problem is that I know that my state holds some unethical "gun" hunters (for lack of a better term) that will think that they can just run down to the local box store and get a crossbow and head to the woods without much practice. I have no problem if an archer wants to hunt with a crossbow as long as he or she has taken the time to become proficient and efficient with it. I don't see that happening with the masses and that is why I don't suppport it in my state. Bottom line is, I can't change it now. It's here. It's real. Will I see it? Who knows.

The initial rush will be huge and then it will slowly even out. It's not your State Reps, or the DNR driving it, make no mistake. It's the cross-bow manufacturers! My advice to you is this, scarf up every cross-bow you can find and sell them as soon as the law passes. You can't fight city hall, but you can profit from thier decisions...
GR8atta2D may be onto something. Damn, late to the party again.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've sold 3..have another ready to go and 2 more on the way.. This may just pay for my new Air Raid...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I've sold 3..have another ready to go and 2 more on the way.. This may just pay for my new Air Raid...
Haha. Cool. I just stopped by my shop the other day to put the last 150 on my Air Raid, stab, and quiver. Congrats...I think we are getting a heck of a bow....when it gets here. Who's your dealer out there?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Reds Archery, they just became a dealer this year due to Bowtech dropping the other in the area. Reds is oh maybe a mile from my house. They didn't have the Air Raid as of last week. But they have the rest of the line-up.

I'm not sold on the Air Raid Yet, But I have to shoot it before I make a purchase, of the current available line-up I like the Admiral Best. Although the Diamond Ice-Man is Neck and Neck!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where is Red's at in relation to route 80. I love stopping in at Bowtech Dealers when I can. I will be out that way tomorrow for work.

On the subject of the Admiral and the Iceman: I have shot both and I give the Admiral the edge. The Iceman is nice, but the Admiral has the speed by 10fps on the two I shot. The draw is different, but I actually like the small hump in the Admiral. I guess it's cause I am used to shooting the 101st. Both great bows for sure.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Reds is not close to I-80 at all. where ya taveling to? How are ya getting there? I workclose to where I-80 becomes the Ohio Turnpike.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Banned

If you want to bowhunt, use a recurve or longbow. Compounders wanting their easy while keeping crossbows out of general archery season are hypocrites beyond belief. Only real bowhunters bowhunting can look down on compounds and crossbows - period.

Show me one proven stat that crossbows are a negative to archery seasons - ever - and I'll shave my head bald and post pictures of it before and after.

Quick Reply: To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.