Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my new arrows!! >

Got my new arrows!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my new arrows!!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got my new arrows!!

If you view a differing opinion as "arguing", then the problem lies, within.

I simply stated.....at known yardages, the heavier arrow has TANGIBLE advantges (not intangible). KE....Momentum....formulas do not lie....and they're not open to interpretation. They're simple scientific formulas.

If you're good enough to discern whether your arrow will clear a limb in your way by an inch......you're a better archer than I.....OR....you're flinging arrows and hoping.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I was surprised at how much more accurate my bow felt!!!! I'm very happy with the carbon fiber arrows... i've been shooting alum. for years and i've been missing out!!!!!!!!!!

a 350 shaft was recommended to me by many professionals!!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Mathews...

You never did mention which aluminum arrow you were shooting. Is it plausible you're better spined, NOW?

If you were over-spined, it wouldn't make much difference in accuracy (at short range, anyways) with a FP. With a BH.....different story.

Congrats on your new setup. My ONLY intention was to point out there's more than one way to skin a cat. Speed is a great thing. It isn't everything, though. Your setup proves it. You're giving up a little in KE (and momentum, also)to achieve it.

At "my" hunting shot distances, I'd go for the heavier. Quieter.....more momentum.....more KE.....etc...

Personal choice.....and I'm sure you'll be pleased with yours.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30

I was surprised at how much more accurate my bow felt!!!! I'm very happy with the carbon fiber arrows... i've been shooting alum. for years and i've been missing out!!!!!!!!!!

a 350 shaft was recommended to me by many professionals!!
Good choice!! Enjoy them and all the advantages that come with the extra speed.A properly tuned bow with a medium to light arrows will many times out penetrate a heavier arrow that is not so well tuned.

In any case the difference in KE between the 2 setups in question is minimal and not worth any concern.

Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

A properly tuned bow with a medium to light arrows will many times out penetrate a heavier arrow that is not so well tuned.
Well DUH!

When discussing this, I'm assuming he's properly tuned for BOTH. Apples to apples, and all.

No fear, Dan. I'm not stepping on your expert toes. Just discussing an alternate (and its' inherent,undisputableadvantages). Ask your buddy Rob why he's shooting the logs he isout of his 82nd.

"Because he CAN" will likely be the answer.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

A properly tuned bow with a medium to light arrows will many times out penetrate a heavier arrow that is not so well tuned.
Well DUH!

When discussing this, I'm assuming he's properly tuned for BOTH. Apples to apples, and all.

No fear, Dan. I'm not stepping on your expert toes. Just discussing an alternate (and its' inherent,undisputableadvantages). Ask your buddy Rob why he's shooting the logs he isout of his 82nd.

"Because he CAN" will likely be the answer.
If you payed any attention to my posts over the past couple of years instead of just looking for something to contradict me about................................

Then you'd know that I am neither Pro lightweight arrows or Pro heavy arrows. I believe there is a time and place for both, but at unknown ranges in typical Whitetail cover where KE is really not a factor.

I'll take the speed for the advantages it offers me, and give up a couple pounds of KE where it really is not needed.

As far as the expert comment? Believe it or not if you continue to Bowhunt for 35 or 40 more years you'll realize just how much you have learned. I learn something every year

Glad to have you back posting!! Maybe my post count can increase now[8D]

Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I believe there is a time and place for both, but at unknown ranges in typical Whitetail cover where KE is really not a factor.

I'll take the speed for the advantages it offers me, and give up a couple pounds of KE where it really is not needed.
Sowould I! (but you knew that. I said it several times in this thread)

You seem unwilling to give the heavier arrow in this aituation ANY due, though. How many yds do you think the typical NA whitetail is killed at? Doesn't matter. It only matters how/for what the hunter in question is hunting. Weigh your options, wisely. Again....there's a reason Rob/PA is shooting a 500+ gr. arrow (and giving up speed, willingly). If it was ALL about speed.....he'd throw a 310gr. arrow on it (shooting the #-age he is) and send them downrange at mach 3.

In the past three years, I've taken 21 whitetails at an average shot distance of 14yds. Arrow speed means very little, TO ME. This fall I'll likely be pushing a 525gr. arrow around 175fps. A speed freak.....I am not. We'll see how it goes.

I'm not arguing with you, at all, Dan. Just offering a differing view. You and I (and the poster) likely aren't the only ones reading this information. Each setup has its' tradeoffs. We need to ask ourselves "why" we choose one over the other. "I picked up 27fps" is (IMO) not a valid reason to switch. You gave up something, too. If you're OK with that (and actually know that you did it).....have a great season!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not arguing with you, at all, Dan. Just offering a differing view.

I know Jeff! That's all you ever do

Dan

Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

If having and stating a differing view (nevermind that it's valid) is "arguing".....color me guilty.

If your ego is soimmense that you don't allow such......again I contend the problem lies within YOU. I intended NO "argument".

Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you enjoy your new arrows an they serve you well.

Quick Reply: Got my new arrows!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.