HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got my new arrows!!
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got my new arrows!!

I believe there is a time and place for both, but at unknown ranges in typical Whitetail cover where KE is really not a factor.

I'll take the speed for the advantages it offers me, and give up a couple pounds of KE where it really is not needed.
Sowould I! (but you knew that. I said it several times in this thread)

You seem unwilling to give the heavier arrow in this aituation ANY due, though. How many yds do you think the typical NA whitetail is killed at? Doesn't matter. It only matters how/for what the hunter in question is hunting. Weigh your options, wisely. Again....there's a reason Rob/PA is shooting a 500+ gr. arrow (and giving up speed, willingly). If it was ALL about speed.....he'd throw a 310gr. arrow on it (shooting the #-age he is) and send them downrange at mach 3.

In the past three years, I've taken 21 whitetails at an average shot distance of 14yds. Arrow speed means very little, TO ME. This fall I'll likely be pushing a 525gr. arrow around 175fps. A speed freak.....I am not. We'll see how it goes.

I'm not arguing with you, at all, Dan. Just offering a differing view. You and I (and the poster) likely aren't the only ones reading this information. Each setup has its' tradeoffs. We need to ask ourselves "why" we choose one over the other. "I picked up 27fps" is (IMO) not a valid reason to switch. You gave up something, too. If you're OK with that (and actually know that you did it).....have a great season!