Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my new arrows!! >

Got my new arrows!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my new arrows!!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got my new arrows!!

Some of you may remember my thread asking if people thought my 510 grain aluminum arrow (including a 100 grain field point) was too heavy... well after shooting lighter grain arrows I just couldn't pass up on the new flight that I grained with the new arrows!!! I have a 29.5 in draw weight and am shooting between 65-70 with a solo cam bow... I went with the 350 size carbon express shaft with the helical fetching and ended up weighting in at 400 even with a 100 grain field point..

Shot through the chrono

old arrows 510 grains: 245
new arrows 400 grains 272

a 27 fps increase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and alot flatter projection

thanks guys
Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got my new arrows!!

Cool! Glad you found something you like. Carbon Express are great arrows.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot CX arrows and love them......but I also shoot a 525gr. arrow a LOT slower tha either of your measurements.

What did you gain.......if ydg. is known? You've given up a couple FP's/KE.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

The CX arrows are IMHO the best all carbon shafts on the market.

With the flatter trajectory it makes it much easier to shoot through any obstacles in your way, such as a hole in some tree branches, etc. I'll take a flatter flying arrow any day as long as flight is not compromised, and KE is ample.You will have plenty of KE with your setup.

Enjoy!!

Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Dominant Buck

You're serious? You'd take a shot with a limb "possibly" in the way....if you think your flatter trajectory might keep you under it?

What scenario can you give (sounds like you're shooting from a tree) where this would be an advantage? What yardage? Do you know the range? What's the difference in arrow drop from the two setups at 30yds?

I won't even get into momentum.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You're serious? You'd take a shot with a limb "possibly" in the way....if you think your flatter trajectory might keep you under it?

What scenario can you give (sounds like you're shooting from a tree) where this would be an advantage? What yardage? Do you know the range? What's the difference in arrow drop from the two setups at 30yds?

I won't even get into momentum.
LMBO!!

Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I wasn't gonna go there.....but that was my exact reaction when I read your post, Dan.

At known yardage, there's NO ADVANTAGE tothe lighter, fasterarrow (especially one....as in this instance....that has LESS KE). If you're willing to take a shot, thinking you're gonna miss a limb with the flatter trajectory, that says something to me about your shot selection. You never did mention how much difference in arrow drop there was between the two arrows cited. Hmmmmm.

Now...you can laugh....but give me a reason why you're doing so. Name one thing I said that isn't true.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure how it is in all parts of the country, but in IL there are trees and limbs in the woods where I hunt.

I never said I would attempt to shoot through a 3" hole but there are always holes/areas I have to shoot through even if they are 2' to 3' in diameter.

If there is one thing I have learned in 40 plus years of Bowhunting it's a faster setup will give you a Big advantage in those conditions.

After all KE out of modern Bowhunting equipment is hardly a concern. I was shooting over 300 fps last year out of my 82nd and shot it as accurately as any bow I have ever hunted with and there have been many. I got complete passthroughs on everything I shot at. The speed also gives you a decided advantage in a woods setup. Sometimes it only takes a little

Speed is not for everyone or for every situation, but I'll take controllable, shootable speed anyday over a locomotive arrow.

MS30 you made a good selection you will Love the improved performance of your new arrows. If it's one thing I've learned in the last few years it's that everything gets an argument on the forums.

Enjoy!!

Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

NO need for an "argument", Dan.....just talking.

I never said I would attempt to shoot through a 3" hole but there are always holes/areas I have to shoot through even if they are 2' to 3' in diameter.
We're discussing a very common scenario, here, with these two arrow setups. You never did tell me what the difference (or what you think it may be) for these two arrows (as far as drop at a given yardage). You tout a faster arrow, and being as how you also tout Bowtech....I don't blame you one bit. The advantage to a bow that will sling a light arrow faster than its' competitors is.....that it'll also sling a heavier arrow, faster.

There IS a point of diminishing returns, though. Admittedly. If you continue to add weight, you'll reach a point where your KE goes DOWN. That's the point I tried to reach, when shooting a compound (erred on the heavy side of that point.....because, as you stated....the KE modern compounds push today is likely overkill in "most" hunting situations). His "slow" arrow was hardly a "locomotive".....unless you take into account it was hitting harder than his fast arrow.

I am an eastern hunter.....and until now I've almost strictly been a treestand hunter (for deer). Again....at known yardages, the heavier arrow (IMO) wins. I'm not discounting your info.. I'm saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. Unless I was out west.....and hunting unknown yardages.....I'd opt for a heavier arrow (especially in this case....where the heavier arrow has more KE and likely more momentum).

No "argument" from me. Simple discussion.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use Google! There are all kinds of trajectory charts out there. I have a couple in my favorites.How much do you think it takes to give you an advantage? An inch? 2? more?

I guess it depends on how close your arrow arcs into the branch you are looking at? or maybe the one you don't see?

I'm sure that never happens

I have better things to do than argue about whether a flatter flying arrow with adequate KE is an advantage[8D]and............................

I sure know there is no use in explaining it to some. The advantage like I said is obvious. Take advantage of it? Don't?? Makes me no difference!

Dan

Quick Reply: Got my new arrows!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.