Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Bowhunter, Needs advice and information >

New Bowhunter, Needs advice and information

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunter, Needs advice and information

Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default New Bowhunter, Needs advice and information

I am new to bow hunting and need whatever advice and info anybody is willing to give me. I am relitively experienced in the outdoors due to my Military Training; however I am always willing to learn. I have been hunting before but the last time was back in 1994, so it's been a while.

Some of the info I am looking for right off the top is understanding the game I will be hunting. How to track and basically be an effective hunter. I have a good bow (Diamond Marquise) and I have been shooting it quite a bit and working on my accuracy and distance. However I don't have a tone of experience in actually stalking the game I am hunting. My military background is in Army Special Operations. So I have an idea of how to stalk, but I'm sure stalking animals is different.

What suggestions does anybody have for finding out this information and staring out?

Any help woul be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Bowhunter, Needs advice and information

Well imo stalking is stalking. Spot your game, find a suitable approach, execute. Just keep in mind that wild game are much more perceptiive than humans, plus your in the animals house. What you need to do is get in the woods. Look for game, their tracks, their trails. Learn to identify food and water sources, beds and dens etc. But most of all just get out in the woods.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Bowhunter, Needs advice and information

Spot & stalk can be a lot of fun, but don't rule out sitting trails, waterholes, etc. A lot of it depends on the specific gameanimal you are hunting.

The Main thing to remember regardless how you hunt is to Always keep the wind in Your favor. Another rule of thumb you don't want to forget is to look a lot and move little

Like I said a lot depends on the animal you are after.

Dan