Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
NEW BOWHUNTER NEEDS ADVICE!!! >

NEW BOWHUNTER NEEDS ADVICE!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEW BOWHUNTER NEEDS ADVICE!!!

Old 02-08-2002, 06:37 PM

Default NEW BOWHUNTER NEEDS ADVICE!!!

I'm a new bowhunter looking at my 1st compound bow. I've been measures for draw length twice and got 2 different lengths. One pro shop told me 27 1/2 or 28, the next said 28 1/2 or 29? I just read in bowhunter mag. that shorter draw length in better. Help me out please!
Old 02-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NEW BOWHUNTER NEEDS ADVICE!!!

Welcome to the board trigger!.....boy that's a tough one. To me I wouldn't trust EITHER pro-shop......they shoul dbe able to tell you (if they know what they are doing) what draw length you are.....not from here to there, but an exact length, and when you are getting a 1 1/2" variance in measurements who do you trust??
Do you know anyone who can recommend a GOOD pro-shop to you?.....or maybe look around and call a few others and explain to them what just took place at the others you were at.
You want to do this right, and getting a bow that fits is a big step in enjoying archery.....look around until someone tells you with certainty that you are a certain and exact draw length.

Do you know how to measure wingspan?......find a clear wall and spread your arms out like you are gonna fly, but keep them relaxed(don't force the reach)but put them straight out.......if you keep one finger tip touching another wall, simply measure the distance to your other finger.......
Then take that measurement......divide by 2.....then subtract 7.5" from it.

For example if you get 74"......divide by two= 37".....minus 7.5= 29.5"
That's your estimated draw length(and they are usually pretty darn close).....give it a try, and use that as a starting point and as useful info the next time you visit a shop.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Matt, again, la la la.lol But I can still welcome to the board. Glad to have you.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well.....Matt is almost right. I have to add that there are no perfect ways to measure draw length, it will get you into the ballpark though. There are too many variables to get perfect, such as large chests, short arms, wide shoulders, long arms, etc, etc.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome to the best board on the net and the wonderful art of bow hunting you are going to enjoy it
I agree with the others specially on a GOOD pro shop
Old 02-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome! Matts method is a good one. That is a big difference in measurement in the two shops you were at. I would go to a different shop and have them do it, possibly using a light recurve with a measurement arrow. This way, you are exactly sure of the length. You can also get a bow that you can adjust either way so that if you are not comfortable, you can always have it shortened or lengthened a bit.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:54 PM
Spike

thay should have a draw check bow . if not try to find a proshop that does .
Old 02-09-2002, 12:59 AM

welcome,i have to agree,you should find a reputable proshop to help you out. good luck in your search

Edited by - raktrakr on 02/09/2002 02:00:53
Old 02-09-2002, 05:14 AM

Welcome trigger2, you won't be sorry you joined.

I see your from MN. If you don't have any luck locally, you might try Cabela's in Qwatonna, or East Grand Forks if they are not to far.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: NEW BOWHUNTER NEEDS ADVICE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.