Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody here this good of shot? >

Anybody here this good of shot?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody here this good of shot?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Anybody here this good of shot?

I have meet Bryon a couple of times. He like myself was on Bear Jennings shooting staff. I was on their staff for about 10 years. Some time I think about going back to a recurve. I went into a local pro shop here a year or two agoand there was a big time recurve shooter in there. I looked at his new recurve bow and ask if I could shoot it and blowed him away with his own bow. My wife was there and thought that was just awesome, but as I told her he wasn'tthegreat oftrad. shooter that he thought he was.When I go to a 3D shoot and see the trad shooters stakes I think to myself it would be asoeasier now days to shoot trad and a good recurve shooter should clean it in 10 any way.I bowhunt and want to use the best equipment for making the cleanest kill I can and that is what makes me shoot a compound. I do shoot in the top scores with it at 3 D shoots and I'm having fun doing it. A recurve bow it take a lot more concentration and time to shoot good instinctively at each target and you can't have people talking around you. I like to talk to others when shooting. I have had surgery on both of my eyes and can't hardly see my sights any more andmay not be able to see toconcentrate a small spot to shoot at like I could before. I at one time with a recurve I shoot one arrow and a with total concentrate on the nock and I could hit it are put a arrow right beside it out to 30 yards. Now I'm lucky to seemy arrows nockat 10 yards. When I shot game I would alwayssee myarrows nocksticking out wereI wouldwanted to hitin my mind and aim hard at it. The smaller the spot the better I could shoot. Try this shooting instinctive out in the dark and put a candle down at the target and light it step back at 20 to 25 yards and shoot at it. What you will find if there not any thing around, but that light and you can group like you never could before. Way they call it total concentration. Some have it and some will never will along with eye and hand coronation
Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

I have meet Bryon a couple of times. He like myself was on Bear Jennings shooting staff. I was on their staff for about 10 years. Some time I think about going back to a recurve. I went into a local pro shop here a year or two agoand there was a big time recurve shooter in there. I looked at his new recurve bow and ask if I could shoot it and blowed him away with his own bow. My wife was there and thought that was just awesome, but as I told her he wasn'tthegreat oftrad. shooter that he thought he was.When I go to a 3D shoot and see the trad shooters stakes I think to myself it would be asoeasier now days to shoot trad and a good recurve shooter should clean it in 10 any way.I bowhunt and want to us the best equipment for making the cleanest kill I can and that is what makes me shoot a compound. I do shoot in the top scores with it at 3 D shoots and I'm having fun doing it. A recurve bow it take a lot more concentration and time to shoot good instinctively at each target and you can't have people talking around you. I like to talk to others when shooting. I have had surgery on both of my eyes and can't hardly see my sights any more andmay not be able to see toconcentrate a small spot to shoot at like I could before. I at one time with a recurve I shoot one arrow and a with total concentrate on the nock and I could hit it are put a arrow right beside it out to 30 yards. Now I'm luck to seemy arrows nockat 10 yards. When I shot game I would alwayssee myarrows nocksticking out wereI wouldwanted to hitin my mind and aim hard at it.
Honestly, I got a little bored reading that about 2 sentences into it. But have you ever took a step back and read what you post?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM

bigcountryYes I do it just things that has happen to me orI have seen seen in my life, things I done and things have learned in the 45 years of shooting as a pro andon company bow and arrowsshooting staffs.Shootingtarget and bowhunting
Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

bigcountryYes I do it just things that has happen to me orI have seen seen in my life, things I done and things have learned in the 45 years of shooting as a pro andon company bow and arrowsshooting staffs.Shootingtarget and bowhunting
Well, as long as you are cool with it. I know I wouldn't be. But to each his own.

Everybody knows that everyone on the internet doesn't tell tall tales.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen some hotdog shooters in my life. Seen some that could pull this all day but when we put the green on it, they crash and burn. These are the same folks that usually can hit a skoal can at 60 yards, but consistently get bad shots on deer. And then there's the average shot who rarely ever misses the boiler room. Pressure is the key.
Very well said Mark!! Back 18 years ago when we still had an archery club I was shooting league with my compound. One of the guys shooting next to me had won state many times and done well In nationals. I told him that night that I wished I could shoot half as good as him. He then told me he'd gladly swap talents with me In a heart beat. When he gets a deer In front of him he looses It. He hasn't had near the luck hunting as he has had target shooting. I felt pretty good when he complimented me on this.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 AM

SchultzyIt works the other way to. I got really in voled in PBS back in the late 70's and 80 as a regular member and got to hunt with bowhunters that I had read about bring so called great bowhunters. After hunting with them a few times I didn't thing of them being great bowhunters ether. Hunters maybe, but archers no. They would talk about how many deer they lost every year to get one and some would kill two are threebucks a year on onetag till they got that big one for the books. When hunting out of state with them they were always scare the crap out of me by wanting to do something that wasn'tlegal, trespass on ground to hunt or have others drive deer to them.The big bucks they did get was shot in the leg, neck are the butt. They were so called good hunters not target shooters.I knew one that shot two P&Y bucks in one night and didn't find ether one of them, but one about a week later a farmer found one of them dead. Guess what a picture of it showed up in a bowhuntingmagazine as his big buck that year and he was the big time bowhunter telling bowhunters how to hunt big bucks.After hunting arounda lot of bowhuntersthey started calling meone of thosepoachers just because I was a so called PBS member. I got tired of it and dropped out of it.