Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough Hogs

Old 04-22-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Tough Hogs

A few months back, a guy asked about how hard it is to kill a hog. This doesn' t involve a bow, but I thought y' all might be interested.

I was walking to a stand over a newly planted food plot around sundown to see if the wild hogs were rooting it up. I was carrying my 300 win mag in hopes to reduce the population some. 6 Hogs come out about 25 yards in front of me. I hit one that I guess to weigh about 150-175 lbs directly behind the shoulder. Not only did it not drop him, he ran about 100 yds before piling up.

While cleaning him, I looked at the heart and lungs and found them completely shredded. I was using 150 grain soft tip bullets.

If a 300 win mag doesn' t drop him, it should indicate how important shot placement is with a bow.

Old 04-22-2003, 12:19 PM

Default RE: Tough Hogs

that' s why they call them " the poor man' s grizzly" [&:]
Old 04-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough critters,for sure!Here' s a 240# boar I got with my recurve.I took the 1st shot at about 15yds-double lung shot and he went about 125yds before going down.After the tracking job I saw he was down but he wasn' t out.I moved in for a nother shot and buried a 500gr cedar in the spine.This pig jumped up and spun around at me.I drop the bow,start running,and I' m getting ready to start climbing a tree when he turns and walks about another 50yds before finally dropping.When I opened him up the Zwickey was lodged about half-way in the spine.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Nothing but respect for them. As fast as any deer and can drop from sight and you wont know where they are till you are right on top of them. At that point you better be ready or start trying to grow a tree becouse somthing is about to happen.
Rick
Old 04-25-2003, 08:01 AM

My brother-in-law caught one in a trap. When he was cleaning it he found an arrow that had been in the hog for a while. It was in the spine but just missed the cord. The bone had started growning around the arrow and the skin had grown over both ends of the arrow. The hog showed no ill effects.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just finished a tour of 3 states & 7 Bowhunts making a informational video on facilities to hunt Boar or Javalina. I use Rocky Mountain 125gr. 3 Blades.
I put an arrow thru both lungs of a 140# Boar @ 25 yards & watched him lay down 50 yards awayin some hip tall grass. I waited an hour & then followed lots of blood to the spot-he was " GONE" . The guide & I then went another 100 yards where the Boar was in a cutout of a creek bank & charged the guide-I shot & the arrow passed over his back-the Boar then ran into a ravine filled with brambles about 300 yards from us. We went along looking for him & spotted him backed up under a bramble waiting for us-as he charged, I put a 2nd arrow thru him & Pat put a 40 cal into him to stop him. When we gutted him we checked all the organs-1st arrow went thru middle of both lungs, 2nd went thru 1 lung & liver & bullet went between Neck & shoulder-this was 1 & 1/2 hours after the 1st hit. Another hunt I put arrow thru the guts of a 250# boar (using dogs this time) as he broke & charged us from the dogs-he was bayed again 10 min later & when we got to him he charges twice more & then I got a 2nd arrow thru his chest taking out his heart-he took 1 step & rolled over. I shot another 100# hog & went thru both hips-sow went 50 yards & dropped dead. I blew thru another 80-100 hog that NEVER lost one drop of blood & we never could find him after many hours of looking. I have taken many Biggame animals (Black Bear, Caribou, Elk among the larger) & have found nothing as tough as a Hog, no matter what size.. Pic. is of Hog taken with Ray Modesitt near Diboll, Tx. 29th of March with the hounds 1-936-422-3602

Old 04-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I live in the middle of hog country. Around here they tear everything up. I have shot them with bows, pistles, and rifles. A good head shot with a 30-06 puts them down on the spot. A lung shot will take some time. I tracked one over a mile that had a very good double lung shot with a 30-30. When we came up on it, I had to finish it with a 44 mag. It still wanted to run. When we field dressed it, it looked as if the lungs were totaly distroyed. With an arrow its best to pack a lunch and stay for the day.