Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bows for my wife??? >

Bows for my wife???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bows for my wife???

Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bows for my wife???

Well after 18 years out of archery I picked it up again this past fall and harvested the largest deer I have ever taken (gun or bow).This was with equipment dated just a few years after the caveman went extinct. So I immediately ponied up the money for a new Hoyt PowerHawk and have been giddy ever since.

Since that time my wife has dropped some hint here and there about shooting.She is looking for a hobby.I catch her looking through my archery catalogs. I think she is open to the idea of archery. Sheeven went to the range with me willingly the other day.We happened to run into a father/mother/daughter combo all practicing as a group.I think that scored some big points. Anyhow the lady allowed Sandy to shoot her Browning MicroMidas. It was her first time ever flinging a few arrows. Softball size groups at 20 yards with a bow not fit or tuned to her kinda got her excited. She drew a few other bows at the shop. At the end of the day she had more catalogs from PSE,Browning and Matthews and told me with a smile that it was a tolerable experience.

Anyhow, this might be my opportunity. Not sure if hunting would be of interest to her or not. Anyhow the Browning MM was a 29 lb pull, which she had absolutely no problem with, but pulling 40 this early was too much (she could get it back but struggled). So I am thinking of a 30-40 lbs bow. she will most likely be a 20-25 in draw. I know I can look at catalog specs all day, but what have you guys had a chance to experience in womens bows. After my selection process, I am partial to Hoyts (Kobalt or Trykon for her), but would like imput on other makes that she should look into.

Thanks for help in our search for her "New Passion"
Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bows for my wife???

I worked a show the other weekend and the Kobalt was a huge seller for the ladies.

The Kobalt is 28" ATA with a 7" BH and has an adjustable DW from 20-60lbs with an adjustable DL of 21.5" to 28". The Trykon Sport is 30" ATA with 6.5" BH an adjustable DW of 20-50lbs with an adjustable DL of 23"-28.5".

The Kobalt has the XT 500 limbs, which are the same limbs that are on the Katera and the Katera XL, which I really like. Both bows have the Cam 1/2 Plus, which is very smooth and should do her well. With the Trykon Sport having an extra 1/2" of DL, it might be easier to sell this bow if she ends up not getting into is as much as you expect (hope).

I would think either of these bows would be great for here. If it were me purchasing one for my wife, I would get the Kobalt as I like the longer BH and the limbs it has more than the Trykon Sport.

Good luck, I hope your wife jumps into this head first and really enjoys herself!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Full Force archeryis making a bow just for the ladies, It is the Droptine Divas bow it has some pink cams and strings and is a heck of a shooter. If you go to www.droptinedivas.com you can get a sneackpeak at it.. Walt
Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife shoots a Hoyt Vectrix. Loves it, now she wants an AlphaMax 32. No need anymore to go with a woman's bow IMO. Best short draw/low poundage bow ever produced is the Bowtech Equalizer. You won't finda faster bow at short draws or low poundage.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:57 PM

mathews mustang is always a good fit for the ladies
Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Spike

My wife shoots a Bear Lights Out in 40-50 Lbs 27'' Draw. Awsome bow for a woman. Huge brace height makes it forgiving as all get out, and the spped is very good for a 40-50 lb bow. Shes shoots 46lbs and a 375 gr GT at 234 FPS! Thats way fast for a 46lb bow. You can get into one for around $260-$300 Bucks too.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take look at the diamond Razor edge. It looks like a nice bow youth/womens bow. I know a few people who have the edge (last years model) thay they like it very much.