Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 fletching degree >

fletching degree

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fletching degree

Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 AM
Spike

Default fletching degree

I' m getting ready to fletch some arrows for the first time.Question is,I got a bitzenburger jig with a straight/offset clamp.I want to put an offset of at least 4-6 degrees on my shafts.How do you determine the degree of offset with out there being any graduations on the jig??I my be making this harder than what it actually is.Also do you adjust both dials or do you only do one?? Clearence shouldn' t be a problem,I' m shooting cxl' s 250 on a mathews 2 prong rest.And yes I' m a little nervous about doing it for the first go around.any comments would help.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:33 AM

Default RE: fletching degree

1. Use a " protractor" to find top degree setting.
2. Measure degree setting from top " center mark" on your Bitz.
3. Loosen " bottom" allignment knob just enough to allow shaft cradle to move.
4. Loosen " top" alignment knob just enough to slide shaft cradle to the degree you want.
5. Bottom alignment should remain " centered."
6. Firmly tighten both tension screws on both adjustments.
7. One you find the degree of offset you like, and you only intend to use the jig to fletch your arrows, apply medium-grade Loc-Tite on screws.

Regardless of what degree of offset you want, the jig' s max setting and the diameter of the shaft being fletched will dictate the maximum.

Using an offset on an average diameter shaft, you may find that 3 to 4 degree may be to much and the rail of your fletch/vane is not fully on your shaft. You may have to settle for a 1-2 degree.

I use 1 degree offset on a 5" feather on 2415 aluminum with 3-blade fixed BH' s and get excellent flight. I use straight fletch on 2413 aluminum, with same BH, for different bow and get excellent flight.

Go here to download and print a flexible protactor. Must have Adobe Reader 5 on your ' pute. Site also has the Adobe 5 to download.

http://www.teachervision.com/tv/prin...8_ALFL0508.pdf
Old 04-21-2003, 08:36 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Like c903 said the diameter of the shaft will determine how much angle you can put on your fletch, 4-6 degrees is really severe unless you use short fletching. Remember you have to leave room on each side for the prongs on your rest.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:03 AM

Does anyone know what degree you get with a standard right helical on a Bitzenberger ?
Old 04-21-2003, 10:21 AM

Don' t hold me to it, but I believe the standard right helical setting on a Bitz is 4-degree. However, shaft diameter and fletch size may hold you to less.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Spike

thanks for all the info.I did the protrator download and transferred some marks onto the jig.I ended up putting a 2 degree offset on them.they fly great.Now that I can fletch the shafts it opens up several possibilites.Again thanks for your time and keep them in the " X" .
Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

1/32" from the rear to the front of your fletching is more than enought for a release shooter. Very low drag and quick rotation for accuracy.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input.