Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 60# or 70# for deer >

60# or 70# for deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

60# or 70# for deer

Old 04-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default 60# or 70# for deer

I heard that if you take 2 bows same cam system same draw length same bows
1 set at 60# top end the other set at70# top end you will only gain 10 fps with the
70# bow, with the same arrows and the correct spine. Why shoot the 70#? you will
get higher KE at 70# but 60# has plenty for deer or even elk.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:52 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 60# or 70# for deer

Personal preference, I shoot 70 and am very comfortable with it. I don' t struggle with the draw weight and it feels right for me. I like the extra speed an KE. If I want to hunt bears, or moose some day I can use my same set up, the one I shoot all the time and have confidence in. Another reason, assuming the same bow with a peak weight of 70 lbs, you will get optimum performance from the bow with the poundage maxed out, that is how they are designed.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:59 PM

Why shoot a 60 lber when 50lb' s has plenty for deer even elk.

Why shoot a 50 lber when you can get the job done with a 40lber.

Some guys pull 70 easier than guys pulling 60 lbers - why not use it?
Old 04-17-2003, 08:22 PM

RA - AMEN MY BROTHER!!!

On top of that - I pull 70# because I' m a 27" draw & need every ounce I can get!

Old 04-17-2003, 08:31 PM

Anything above 40# should have the punch to take down a whitetail.
My wifes 43# and radical cam has enough! My McKenzie Tuff Buck says so.
The shaft sticks out the other side 5" at 30 yards, through the thickest part with her bow and carbon shafts. Beat my aluminums @ 60# with my bow. I had to go carbon! My McKenzie won' t last long now.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 PM

60# is comfortable for me and is deadly! The stronger you are, the more lbs you should try, but stop before you max out and can' t hold for several seconds at full draw.....Being able to hold at full draw is more important than a few fps of arrow speed......
Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 PM

I am shooting 72# right now. Why? One reason is that my bow is maxed out but the other reason is that this is about the most weight that I can pull and be entirely comfortable with. I can draw it back without any problems and I can hold it for a long time. The extra speed and KE are nice, but, if I could only pull 55# then that is what my bow would be set at.

Alot of the bows out there today can be set to their lowest possible speed but can still zip an arrow through a whitetail.

If I don' t fill my tags before late season archery this year, I may bump my bow down to 60 pounds and adjust my sights. Why? Because the negative 10 degree morning here in Pennsylvania mixed with adrenaline from a deer comming in can make it VERY challenging to pull a bow back.

Try out different weight settings and see what you like the best. If you can pull 65# just as easily and comfortably as 60#, then, go with 65#, but, if it isn' t the same, go with 60#, you will be glad you did when you have a buck come in and your adrenaline starts pumping.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can pull 70 pounds very comfortably sitting down with my legs crossed in full camo. I would also shoot 100 pound bow if I could do the same with a bow of that weight. If you can pull it and hold it for about a minute with out shaking and are accurate with it then shoot it. It gives you just a bit more power that you might need someday for that shot that wasn' t perfect or that monster elk or moose..
Old 04-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-18-2003, 06:44 AM

I don' t move the weight up on my bow until I can pull back, hold for a minute solid, then turn to the target and hit the bullseye. If you can' t do that, I think you should lower the weight, at least for deer. If you can, shoot the maximum that allows you to do that. Most think that' s a bit extreme, but when a buck suddenly turns away at 15 yards, I don' t want to have to let down and spook him. Better to be able to hold solid.
I laugh all the time when some knucklehead at the range has to lift his bow and point his arrow up in the air to pull back. I hope he impresses folks at the range, the deer won' t be amused.

Quick Reply: 60# or 70# for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.