Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fishfinders..lower pwr 60 degree cone, higher pwr 20 degree? >

Fishfinders..lower pwr 60 degree cone, higher pwr 20 degree?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishfinders..lower pwr 60 degree cone, higher pwr 20 degree?

Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Fishfinders..lower pwr 60 degree cone, higher pwr 20 degree?

I'm looking at two models, one has 800 watts with a 60 degree cone angle, the other has 1500 watts with a 20 degree cone angle. I fish shallow..do I need the power? Fishing shallow, wouldn't the 60 degree angle be a bonus even with lower power? You opinions greatly appreciated!
Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fishfinders..lower pwr 60 degree cone, higher pwr 20 degree?

I would go with the 60 degree angle and the low power if you are fishing in less than 75 feet of water. If the water is several hundred feet deep you need the higher power and tighter cone angle. One word of caution, you do need enough power to discriminate the targets and show the detail needed to properly fish. Pick a good name brand like Lowrance, Eagle, Garmin, Humminbird, Ray Marine etc.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:56 AM

Since I only have a small boat with an electric motor, I was concidering an Eagle Fisheasy 2 that has 187 watts, 1500 P/P watts, and a 20 degree cone angle... or an Eagle Cuda 168 with 100 watts, 800 P/P watts, and a 60 degree cone angle. Neither one of which are pricey units, but will probably fit the bill. My thoughts are if I'm in shallow water, do I need 700 extra watts of P/P power? The other thought is without the extra power, and a much wider field of view, would it be the way to go to see more bottom, or will the lower power be a sacrafice and it wouldn't be a good thing?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

With a small boat and electric mtor I assume you will be fishing ponds and small lakes and rivers. I would go with the Eagle Cuda due to the wider cone angle. The higher power narrow cone models are useful to separate targets in deeper water. Downrigger fishermen like them because they can show lakers right on the bottom. A less powerful unit might not pick the fish off the bottom and just show the bottom. I fish out of a bass boat and usually am in less than 50 feet of water. Most of the time I am in less than 20 feet so a wide cone works well for me. Fishing in shallow depths a narrow cone wouldn't show enough of the bottom to satisfy me. I mainly use the unit to show structure, bait fish and water depth. Seeing an actual fish on the screen is actually not that important to me.