Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you care!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you care!!!

You know.. I think it depends..

Take for example North West Michigan. I have been here for a year and a half and have already got a good taste for the "Sportsmanship" in the area.
I know of several people who shot little bucks this year. Some really small. And that's okay. BUT, when you complain two weeks later at the local QDM banquet about the lack of quality bucks in the area.. Now there is a problem. Almost everyone around NW Michigan has this philosophy of "if it's brown, it's down" Which personally I do NOT agree with.. However, 99% of all the hunters will tell you that they all dream of shooting that dream buck! News flash people.. THEY WILL NOT GET BIG IF YOU SHOOT THEM WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!!! This pisses me off so much. I could literally scream!

Now, with that said. If you are a person who goes out and shoots the first deer you see, and could HONESTLY care less if it is bambi or godzilla, then good for you! But I NEVER want to hear of you complaining of not having a BIG deer on your wall!

What NW Michigan NEEDS to do is allow everyone the opportunity to harvest does. More young bucks would survive, the buck to doe ratio would improve and we all would have the CHANCE at a good deer!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

In particular no. In general, maybe a little.
I wish we lived in an ideal world where people could shoot what they pleased, and the management aspect would not be compromised. But in many areas, that isn’t reality. The focus is often to kill any and every buck, leaving few to grow up. When this is practiced on a wide scale, it really messes with the age structure of the herd, and doesn’t even allow for a realistic chance at killing a mature buck.

Honestly when I see some one with a buck of any size, unless I know them, or can immediately sense their overwhelming happiness, I am not really hit with emotion either way. I smile, say my congrats & am on my way.
Thisdescribes my position on this subjectmore accurately than my original post. Very well put!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I care because I like to see if the majority of the local bucks are tending to get bigger or not.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Being retired I get to hunt a lot . In Wi. we get 1 buck tag for bow 1 for firearm. So for bow hunting (central Wi.)I am quite fussy (hunt for 4 months) and its 10 point or larger, Rifle season I go to Northerm Wi. for 9 day season and hunt on public land so I shoot any legal buck,also we can party hunt with firearm's. I say shoot whatever you want thats legal. On my land I only shoot large bucks but the 2 guys who hunt with me can shoot whatever they are happy with.
RC
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Shooting what makes you happy should be the name of the game.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Spike

To be honest, I would rather see a gun clubs meat pole loaded with 2.5, 3.5 yr olds than a bunch of spikes. So i guess yeah it bothers me the state doesn't try to get our deer heard a little older. I don't blame the hunters because they are killing legal bucks. Just wish the deer were givin a better chance to grow old.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Don't care one bit. Shoot whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am picky at the start of the season because I know what is on my properties! Sure I get upset when people who hunt onour properties shot little bucks and button bucks and trust me there are on are only a select few aside from tresspassers. If I want food on the table I will crush a doe in a heartbeat but man leave the little guys go if you want quality bucks. I like to think of myself as a "professional" when it comesto ethical hunting but I run into my fair share of tresspassers who will take whatever is out there and I think theselow lifesgive good hunters a bad name. All and all.......little the little ones grow!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

some people said they care because it could have been a nice buck one day. If that hunter is hunting for meat then all he cares about is what is under the fur. who am i to judge why a hunter should hunt.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

nope, not at all I could care less the size of the buck I kill, I mean if i knew there was a nice buck in the area I would hold out for him, but if I see a buck, he is going down...

Quick Reply: Do you care!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.