Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What a bunch of garbage... >

What a bunch of garbage...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a bunch of garbage...

Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What a bunch of garbage...

I dont know if anyone has ever seen the "Buckmasters" way of scoring.. i just took a look at it today and its an absolute joke.. They took the boone and crocket scoring system, renamed the G measurementsto P's, and the H measurements to C measurements.. Everything else seems the same.. I dont know if this is the same buckmasters as jackie bushman (lower case because he doesnt deserve to be capitalized) is involved with, but if it is I guess its no surprise to see he is stealing things from other people again.. Crooked group right there..

Oh yeah heres the link... http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/portals/0/bm/pdfs/sheet.pdf
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What a bunch of garbage...

Don't get me wrong, I am abig fan of B&C, P&Y and Ohio Big Buck Club. However,I've always thought that it was strange to give a deer credit for the inside spread. Why give a deer credit for the "air" between his main beams? The only thing in my opinion that should receive credit towards the score should be the actual inches of antler growth! I've always thought about doing some crazy type of scoring, almost like a "water displacement"method.This way it measures the amount of total space taken up by the antlers. Deer with lots of mass in the tines and all the way out to the end of theirmain beams can be counted towards something! I would be curious to see how the record books would change if such a scoring method existed. I'm sure the Milo Hanson Buck would lose its number one position to a more massive typical!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure why it has you so worked up? Personally, I think its just another way of scoring deer. Their system gives points based solely on amount of antler, nothing for air measurements. Kinda makes more sense than B&C to me. I'm with Ohio on this one too, a displacement test on some of the historic racks to see which deer really did grow the most antler. Not sure how to best organize that...someone get on it!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckmaster's scoring system is no more that the GROSS B&C/P&Y scoring system giving antlers their due score without deductions. I like it to be honest because Gross scoring is what counts in my book. The changing of letters, no big deal, P=points, C=circumference instead of A-H of P&Y.

I'm not a fan of Buckmaster though.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always thought a Buck should get credit for what he grows.

Dan
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a deer in Ohio's Buckey Big Bucks. But I believe it doesn't make itinto Buckmasters if I remember right (20 inch inside). I don't realy care either way as it doesn't makea differnce ifa buck makes a book etc... P&Yis pretty much the scoring standardeveryone goes by so thats what I go by.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, if you do not mind, would you explain what makes this system "an absolute joke". It seems pretty basic and straight forward to me. An absolute joke would include items such as:

1) wind speed________________mph (check one) __crosswind (add 10 points)__headwind (add 5 points)__tailwind (deduct 5 points).

2) Duration of hunt______________(min/hours/days-circle one)
multiply total minutes by number of points per antler and divide by 14__________________.

3) Number of non-hunting spectators presnet for kill_________________________.
add ten bonus points for each PETA member present____________________.

Now that's garbage!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its an absolute joke because it is nothing more than changing letters from G to P for each antler point, and H measurements to C. ITS JUST B & C GROSS SCORE. They didnt need to make up their own system, all they had to do was say "take the gross B & C measurement.."

Look at the two scoring systems and they are identical.. THATS what the joke is..

I, too believe that water displacement should be the best way todo a score.. That way you get a TRUE reading of how much bone is on that deers head.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

ITS JUST B & C GROSS SCORE.
Well, no. that's not quite true. As has been stated, the inside spread doesn't get the deer any credit.Also, rather than deduct for side-to-side unevenness as would be done to reach a net score, there are4 different categories to choose from to fit the 'gross' score into, depending on the % of differences s-s. Sure, it's identical to B&C in most respects, but perhaps the revisions are sensible. What about Pope and Young - didn't they copycat B&C completely? Man, who do they think they are?

Disclaimer : most things about Buckmasters these days I tend to dislike. But I'm not all fussed up about the scoring system.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea Ohiobuck25 brought up.......water displacement could work. I also agree with Rob and MeanV2 that a buck should be given all of its score regardless of deductions.

Quick Reply: What a bunch of garbage...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.