Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting unfletched arrows >

Shooting unfletched arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting unfletched arrows

Old 04-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting unfletched arrows

I have been told to shoot unfletched arrows to determine if the nocking point is correct. Not sure if this a tested methoded or not, but i tried it. The arrow struck in the same vertical plane, but it was 9-10 inches low at 15 yds, with the nock tilted slightly upward. Since I just had the professional adjust my bow, i am reluctant to fool with it unless you think i have a problem. Unfortaunately, since he tied a loop to the string for my release, i can' t play with the nocking point to see how it affects this test.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Shooting unfletched arrows

Your bare shaft is indicating either a week spine or the nocking point is too high.

Move the rest up or the loop down to correct.

if you can' t correct it with adjustments then it may be spine.

Also if the spring tension on the rest is to hard, it will throw the arrow nock high.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:38 AM

Teal

Do not know what type of unfletched shaft you are launching, and what poundage your bow is. Be careful, you could have a shaft blow up near you. Also, bare-shaft tuning is not for everyone.

However, the main point of my reply is to tell you; you have to " fool" with your bow to set it up properly.

What the person at the bow shop probably did was to set the bow adjustments to factory specs and your draw length.

From that point on, you have to set everything to meet your shaft setup, your form, draw weight, etc. Which includes adjusting nocking height if it becomes necessary.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:19 PM

Is your bow a two cam? The timing could be off too with the top cam hitting late. Don' t be afraid of tweaking the setup. That' s the fun of archery. What works for some doesn' t always go for the other.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' m assuming (dangerous exercise, but it' s all I have to go on) the pro set your timing or cam synchronization correctly, set you up with the correct spine arrows and set the nock point at 90 degrees. Do not lower it below 90 degrees. If you have to go below 90 to get a bare shaft to fly straight, then you need to adjust the bow' s tiller.

Old 04-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I adjusted my rest upward as one repondent suggested, and it helped. However, if i raise anymore, i will loosed clearance for my fletching. I started wondering, maybe i can reduce the tension on my rest, which will allow more drop upon launch. Could this help? By raising the rest, i reduced the drop from 9 inches to about 5, but i understand i should be closer to 1 -2 .

thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 06:11 PM

I started wondering, maybe i can reduce the tension on my rest, which will allow more drop upon launch. Could this help?
Must be that darn subliminal messages in my posts

yes I would give it a try