Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do broadheads and field points hit same POI? >

Do broadheads and field points hit same POI?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do broadheads and field points hit same POI?

Old 04-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do broadheads and field points hit same POI?

Someone told me a properly tuned bow will result in the same poi. Mine are definately shooting to one side (the left, appx 6 inches).

Hunter rest and muzzy fixed blades. I have also been told for those who are having trouble with poi, use mechanicals and you will definately resolve the problem but I am not sure how true it is.

Old 04-13-2003, 05:50 PM
CG

Default RE: Do broadheads and field points hit same POI?

Same POI is highly over-rated IMHO....If your braodheads are impacting away from your field points AND are flying perfectly, then simply sight in for your BH. I' ve had this happen on several occasions....3" groups w/ fp and 3" groups w/ BH at 40 yards but the BH 5" right and low but flew perfectly..... Simply moved my sight. All of this is of course assuming you have good arrow flight w/ the BH.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' m with CG. I don' t consider having a different POI with broadheads a problem at all. It' s convenient to have the same POI, and it can be done, but it' s certainly not necessary. In fact, I feel that tuning for the same POI means you' ve tuned your bow somewhere in the middle; okay for each one, but not perfectly tuned for either.

The way I look at it, when you' ve got your bow tuned to shoot broadheads with best arrow flight and best accuracy, the bow is tuned. When you switch to field points, adjust the sights. It' s inconvenient, but it saves a lot of time messing around trying to get field points and broadheads to hit the same spot, only to wind up with a bow that' s semi-tuned.

Back when an archer' s life was simpler, and we had tournaments that included a broadhead round, most everyone shot dovetail mounted sights. We' d have one sight adjusted for broadheads and another sight adjusted for field points. When we switched points, we simply switched sights. I still haven' t figured out why dovetail mount sights have practically gone extinct.

Mechanicals will shoot in practically the same hole as field points. Only world class shot could tell much difference.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:17 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Another vote for CG' s comments. Getting BHs and FPs to hit the same spot can sometimes be accomplished, but if you can' t, don' t work yourself into a rubber room trying to achieve it. Just move the sight.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with CG and Arthur. Although with my current hunting setup my Muzzys shoot exactly the same point of impact as my field points!

If yours don;t and you cannot get them too, and if your heads are shooting good, just adjust and tune for the broadheads.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with the rest. I try to get them to hit to the same point of aim, but as long as both fly and group well I am happy. The main point is perfectly flying accurate broadheads.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same opinion here as well. As long as accuracy and consistancy are there then I do not give much emphasis on same poi.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel that tuning for the same POI means you' ve tuned your bow somewhere in the middle; okay for each one, but not perfectly tuned for either.
I agree with that 100%
Old 04-14-2003, 08:56 AM

As usual, I have to go against the grain. Assuming both arrows are flying good (one tipped braodhead and one tipped field point) how could they NOT hit the same point ? All things being the same (arrow, ewight of head, release etc) the broadheads SHOULD impact the same as field points.

CG - Why does the arrows with BH hit low and to the right ? Because they are planing that way, right ? They are drifting because the broadheads are fighting the fletching and steering the shafts a bit off of what they normally would fly (with field points). Not knocking your setup at all, because in all honesty thats better flight than the majority of bowhunters get I think and it sounds like you spend a lot of time on your equipment. That said however, its obviously two different type heads of same weight fly differently, correct ? And because they fly differently they cannot both be flying the same, menaing if one if tuned perfectly the other cannot be tuned perfectly as well and fly differently. Right ?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:32 AM
CG

Zelazny,
My experience is that they can impact differently AND fly perfectly. Right now I' m shooting Muzzy 100 4-blades and they are impacting within an inch of my FP. I can throw on a Magnus Nugent blade and for whatever reason they will impact 6" away from that group....BUT they fly perfectly....Group tuned, paper tuned, done it all and the BH flys just as well as the FP.

In your first paragraph, you state that if both are flying perfectly and they are on the same arrow and the same weight they should impact the same. My FP are about a half inch long well my BH range anywhere from 1" to 2" long depending on which one I' m trying at the time. I think that this change in FOC can change POI but has little affect on the actual flight of the arrow. Can' t really explain but it in my experience, that' s what happens.

Quick Reply: Do broadheads and field points hit same POI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.