Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 How come every one is shooting aluminum arrows? >

How come every one is shooting aluminum arrows?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How come every one is shooting aluminum arrows?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default How come every one is shooting aluminum arrows?

How come everybody is using aluminum arrows these days. It seems like nobody is using cedar anymore. Ill be hunting this year with cedar shafts all the way!

Die Hard
Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How come every one is shooting aluminum arrows?

I've never used them but my dad did for many years and it seemed the last few years he used them the worse they got for being straight. Thats the reason he went back to Aluminum and thats also the reason I haven't went with wood yet. I'm sure it makes a big difference on where you order them also for being semi straight.

Some day I will shoot wood arrows but Aluminum has never ever failed me.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot cedars then I just got tired of getting too many that weren't spined right, had too many weight variances so I just went back to aluminums and carbons.And for the price of quality matched tapered cedars and the time you put into them,it was just better for me to not use them anymore
Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: diehardhunter

How come everybody is using aluminum arrows these days. It seems like nobody is using cedar anymore. Ill be hunting this year with cedar shafts all the way!

Die Hard
Because good ones cost a freakin fortune. I just paid $80 dollars for a dozen 42-45lb for my osage bow.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a few good cedars I will hunt with this year but they are kinda spendy. I have a lot more aluminums and they are much more affordable. But honestly nothing else flys quite like a good wood arrow.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot some wood arrows a couple of years ago when I first tried the trad. thing. They are definitely some of the nicest looking arrows when they are crested and fletched, but the things I din't like about them outweighed the "mystique" of shooting wood arrows. I got them from a guy who makes them and sells them on AT. The were all spined well and were + or - eight grains. They flew like darts, but after being shot alot they would lose their spine or bend. I did not want to mess with straightening them and they soon became more trouble than they were worth. I kept 6 to hunt with and managed to kill two deer with wood arrows. I have to admit, walking up to a blood soaked wood arrow sticking out of the ground definitely had a more "traditional" feel to it, but I prefer the ease, consistancy and cost of aluminum.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot cedar and carbon arrows. Like previously mentioned cedar is a lot more labor intensive. I still like cedar but it's hard to beat carbon for durability and uniformity. Carbon even comes in faux wood finishes; I know aluminum does too, before someone jumps in to mention that fact.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing else shoots quite like a wood arrow. I love 'em. Although, I darn sure don't love 'em enough to pay $80 for made-up set.[:-] I get the shafts and make my own.

The key is to straighten each shaft at least twice over several days before ever starting to make the arrows, and again at each operation in the process. Seal them really well to keep the moisture content of the wood stable. They'll stay a lot straighter. And they're plenty durable - as long as you hit your target instead of the rocks and trees to either side.[8D]
Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use them also. But for some reason I only take shots that I am 100% confident I wont miss on. I really hate the sound of and seeing a wood arrow break.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM

I've made dozens of wooden arrows over the past 15 years from most of the types of wood out there. In my experience, cedar seems to be the most consistent in putting a tight group of arrows in the target; however, not astightaswhen compared with aluminum, carbon, or fiberglass. While I have taken several deer with wooden arrows with a recurve or twothat seemed to like them, most of my huntingnow is done withmy Hummingbird longbow and it likes carbon or fiberglass arrows which do the best job ofhitting where I'm looking. Tom