Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to understand deer by using Topo maps??? >

How to understand deer by using Topo maps???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to understand deer by using Topo maps???

Old 04-13-2003, 09:34 PM

Default How to understand deer by using Topo maps???

I just bought a Garmin Rino 120 with the Topo map software. I have been reading in magazines where hunters have been more successfull looking at Topo maps versus deer signs (scaps, rubs, etc.) when looking for deer paths. My question to you is, how and what do I read on the map to find the most likely path deer will travel. I would greatly appreciate any tips or suggestions you may have. Please include any resources (books, websites, etc) you think may benefit me.

Thanks and good hunting!!!
jt
Old 04-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to understand deer by using Topo maps???

I would never plan hunt or go hunting without studying and carrying topo maps. I think they are extremely important for many reasons, some of which you mentioned in your query. However, they are but one of many tools that you should use in planning and hunting.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Spike

Mathewsbow1,

Topo maps show you the contour of the land. By becoming proficient in understanding what a topo map is telling you, you can come very close to pinpointing good stand locations just by looking at the map. A deer will travel the route of least resistance when they know they can safely. The topo map will show you these areas and contours. If you look at the topo map and see a whole bunch of lines very close to each other, that signifies a steep part (or fast elevation change) in the ground. If there is steep way and a " not so steep" way to cross a ravine or other obstacle in the middle of the woods, the deer will choose the " not so steep" way 9 out of 10 times. This is why topo maps are so helpful when doing an evaluation of stand positions. The best advice I can give you is to look at topos of different areas that you actually have access to. By taking a topo out in the woods with you and actually seeing the ground that the map is describing, you' ll be an expert topo map reader in no time!
Hope this helps.

Joe

Old 04-21-2003, 12:04 PM

Is there any web sights out there for this issue.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:36 PM

I believe this will give you a very good start:
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...whunter/topos/