Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sonoran Broadheads >

Sonoran Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sonoran Broadheads

Old 04-18-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Sonoran Broadheads

Any one use these, have seen these, or heard of these.

The delayed opening and the 3 blade design look good.

http://www.sbp.cc/delayed2.htm
Old 04-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sonoran Broadheads

I asked 5-shot about those right before last elk season. As most mechanicals don' t give an entry wound anyway it makes perfect sence to save the blades until they are in the animal. Some people posted that they are wicked turkey heads and work great on deer also.

With the blades tucked in like they are there wouldn' t be any " kicking off" the animal.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:14 PM
nub

I' m trying hard not to laugh at these things. I really like this part from their website.
Practice without dulling blades, wrap some electrical tape around the front of the ferrule and you can shoot your broadheads without dulling the blades or cutting your target all to pieces.
Or this part
No O-rings or Rubber bands, to rot or prematurely open
What would you call that thing keeping the blades shut? I' d love to see 5 shot' s test on those. I wouldn' t think those blades would hold up thru the orange let alone the drum. I also looked around the website and see no evidence of replacement blades available for them. 1 and done?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:09 AM

Oh great! Now we have, on the market, a head that does not open until AFTER penetration. How much vital area will the head pass through as a field point before the blades open?

How much resistance from blood, muscle, tendon, bone, etc. will impede the DELAYED opening?

I am not keen about mechanicals; I sure do not like this design.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh great! Now we have, on the market, a head that does not open until AFTER penetration. How much vital area will the head pass through as a field point before the blades open?
Actually this head has been on the marker for a number of years now. I guess 5-shot, or someone else with the ability, will just have to test them and see if they are what they are said to be.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:09 PM

The catch word is " DELAYED."
Old 04-19-2003, 12:28 PM
nub

I have to agree with c903 on this. (did I really just say that?) Why on earth would you want to delay the cut?[:@] The larger the entrance hole and exit hole, the more blood they loose. The easier the track job. Way to many things going against this head. Electrical tape,[][&:] that kills me! LMAO
Old 04-19-2003, 12:41 PM

nub

I have to agree with c903 on this. (did I really just say that?)
Old 04-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also agree with c903 and Nub! It seems to me that any mechanical heads downfall is failure to open imediately on impact. For some reason Sonoran seems to be using this failure as a bonus in their marketing. I' m confused! I wonder what handy dandy word they have for that thing that holds the blades in place with superiority over o-rings or rubber bands
Old 04-19-2003, 09:13 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Actually, this head has several advantages: (1) It' s legal in states that require a 7/8" minimum width in the closed position. (2) It only has small exposed blades in flight, leading to better accuracy. (3) Delayed opening is good because the head penetrates most of the way before the " wings" force the larger blades open. This reduces the chance of a glance off or cartwheel.

Also, they do leave a fairly decent entrance hole (the wings are 7/8" wide. If I were to shoot mechanicals, I' d give them strong consideration.

The makers of Sonoran are renowned AZ bowhunters who' ve killed some monster mulies and coues at 50 and 60 yards, so these heads must be pretty accurate.

Quick Reply: Sonoran Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.