Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Topo Maps

Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Topo Maps

Does anyone have any tips forfinding a hunting spot using a topo map? Should I just look for where the terrain funnels down or what?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Topo Maps

correct look for terrain funnels, saddles, steep ridges. Deer tend to take the easiest way... so they go around steep parts and cross over the tops of ridges at the narrowest point
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Topo Maps

I also use them to look for features such as water , cover , proximity to cropland , and other things . Another thing they're good for is locating otherwise unknown tracts of public land , these are very often overlooked by other hunters since they usually adjoin private properties . Small quiet stretches of woods can very often be hiding a monster due to their lack of pressure . If you find such a patch be certain to print the map , complete with the lat-long or UTM coordinates of the parcel , in case of a dispute . Sometimes landowners forget where their property lines really are , and it pays to be able to whip out your GPS and say "See , I'm not trespassing after all ." If they decide to press it after that then invite them to call the local Game Warden , they won't win .