Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Explain this?

Old 04-13-2003, 07:13 AM

Default Explain this?

Finally found a bow my wife likes. Bought it used and had to totally rebuild it.
Tomcat, made by Buck Knives and archery. It is a dual cam(radical looking cams) 36 ATA(short enought so the string passes her big chest) 26" pull with a loop added I have it set at 43# She is shooting Game Winner " Terminator" carbons with 125-gm. " pig points.

I shoot the bow I had purchased for her, but she couldn' t pull it efficiently.
Evolution, made by Golden Eagle. It is a dual cam(more solid, not as milled out as hers) 38" ATA, with 29" pull, no loop. It is right at 60#. I have been shooting 2216 aluminum, with 125-gm " field points"

I recently purchased a McKenzie " TUFF BUCK" , maybe 50-100 shots at it so far. Talk about fun! My wife digs that way more then my paper plates[&:]

Her bow blows the carbon arrows all the way through the thickest of the midsection, and stick out 5" past, out the other side.

My bow, only penetrates about 6-8"

She is a one pin wonder from 5-30 yards

I have 3 pins to cover 30 yards. 0-10, 20, & 30 pins.

Ok guys, do I need to de-tune her bow? Shes getting a big head.

I have shot these same arrows before, and I didn' t like the way it made the bow feel. Like I dry fired it. Especially my old bow. Shot one of these carbons threw it, and it has never been the same(my old bow). It creeks and makes all kind of noise now.

Is her bow with less pull but a radical cam, shooting lighter arrows with a heavy tip, that much more efficient, then my set up? I see it is, with my own eyes, but should it be this way?
Old 04-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Explain this?

I guess it would come down to the AMO and IBO specs of each bow.
I had a buck saber in the solo cam with an IBO of 295, not sure what the dual cam model produced.

It would be very impressive if her 43# pull bow was out producing a 60# bow. It sounds as if the lighter arrows might have damaged your bow if it " creeks and makes all kind of noise now."

Could it be time for a NEW bow for you, or at least a newer model?

Old 04-13-2003, 08:57 AM

It made the ol Bear Kodiak compound, creek.

I thought we would be pretty even.[>:]
Old 04-13-2003, 11:12 AM

Her little Carbon arrow' s will penetrate deeper than your Big ol alimunim arrows....
Old 04-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The diameter of her carbon arrows will allow the to penetrate deeper in a 3-d target.

A radical cam and bow combo at 43# COULD be more efficient than a 60# bow,yeilding in more downrange energy but I think what the differnce is in this case is diameter.

I do agree that if your bow is creaking after shooting that really light arrow that there might be some damage,due to basically dryfiring your old bow.You really need to have it checked out.It may be getting ready to inflict serious bodily injury.

It may not take much to get rid of the creaking either,but it really needs to be looked at.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:32 AM

The Buck Tomcat is actually made by Champion Bows out of Canada (Manitoba?)

They are well put together bows.

As far as the difference in penetration it could be KE or momentum, but it does sound like the Tomcat is much faster. This coupled with the fact that you need pin for 10 and a pin for 20? How far apart are they? That seems pretty slow.

Your limbs may be maxed out, but are you sure you pullling #60? I had a bow that was maxed and after string stretch it was at @#54. A twist of the cables and a twist of the string and I was back up to #61 and 1 pin to 23 yards again.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:08 PM

You got the wrong picture

I' m shooting 2216 aluminum @ 60#
She is shooting a carbon @ 43#

I thought the KE would be equal.

I shot her carbons after I typed the start of the thread, and my bow blows them through the McKenzie pretty good too.

I thought the McKenzies had more stopping power and were a little tuffer then that? I' m messing up the unshot side because the arrows blow threw it at 30 yards. It blows chuncks out of the backside. Like a bullet would.[:@]
It won' t take long for me to need a new mid section, and I have only had the McKenzie a week, tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:03 PM

I don' t doubt what you are saying, but...... We have a 3D shoot and last month we had 211 shooters. Many of these guys are shooting carbon arrows at 60lbs,70lbs, and I know of two guys that shoot 80lbs draw weight. We use Mckenzie targets primarily and we shoot Jan. through Sept. Our early shoots average around 50 shooters and we get more as the season goes on. Now, we have targets that last the entire season. Even if we were to say that we average 100 shooters for 9 months that' s 900 shots into each of our targets. My buddy shoots carbons and he pulls 63lbs of draw weight and I have never seen him go through a target.
Keep the bows and return the target! ???
Old 04-17-2003, 02:04 PM

Sounds like you need to tell her that you need a newer and faster bow.

Think she will buy it???
Old 04-17-2003, 02:48 PM

Yep, I agree with hafa, I think your target must be bad. There' s no way an arrow would be blowing through a " healthy" new Mckenzie target .