Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you keep a hunting journal? >

Do you keep a hunting journal?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you keep a hunting journal?

Old 01-23-2002, 05:00 AM

Default Do you keep a hunting journal?

Forgive me if this has been asked, I haven't seen it since I have been on the board. Do you keep a hunting journal or log of any kind to keep track of weather, stands, animals, shots, personal observations, etc.? I started one back in 1980, with my memory, it proves itself to be invaluable. It's a lot of fun to go back and read later too.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you keep a hunting journal?

I keep a bowhunting log, but it isn't that detailed. I basically only record buck sightings. I should start a detailed one like I do for fox hunting. That one has all the wind, temp, area, call etc.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:46 AM

I did start one when I was younger.I did it for only 2yrs.Now I try and scout if I can and go from there.I use a video camera before turkey season to see how they reacted to a certain call.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:49 AM

I haven't written anything on paper yet, but I do have a photo album of every deer I've taken. This year however I am going to keep some kind of journal and write in it every day that I'm afield. I don't want it to be too technical. Instead, I want it to be more like a story. Maybe my kids will enjoy reading it and it might instill in them the same desire and tranquility I get from hunting.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only hunt deer, but I like to know my hunting ground thoroughly. I keep an informal "chicken scratch" log. Make entries every time I go out, either at lunch or at the end of the day.

The things I keep track of are wind speed and direction, temp, overcast or clear, recent and present precipitation. I've heard that many of these things can affect deer movement. I guess I should be keeping track of moon phases too.

THE most important thing I record is deer sightings including time of day and direction of travel. I like to try new stand locations often to make sure I get the big picture so my notes help a lot.
I like to scout every time I can, so I sometimes still hunt through an unexplored area, and make notes of anything interesting.

You never know when you'll find that big buck, hot trail, or a scrape that you could park a VW in (like the one I found last year).

I keep track because it helps me remember certain days and sightings. Also, I'm testing the theories about when and where deer move. I want to see if what I've heard applies to my area, or if my local deer have a unique pattern for one reason or another.

I recommend keeping a journal for any hunter.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.

Edited by - bulzeye on 01/23/2002 10:34:15
Old 01-23-2002, 09:38 AM

I collect data on a spreadsheet including, date, time hunted, does seen, bucks seen, stand and wind. It is fun to play with the data. One conclusion I have reached is that bucks are more active during the morning during the rut.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 01-23-2002, 10:12 AM

I don't, but not too late to start. Seems like good idea. My memory isn't greatest either.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:12 AM

I don't, but not too late to start. Seems like good idea. My memory isn't greatest either.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I keep a log with the usual things date time bucks and doe's seen weather etc.
it really does help in planning a hunt
Old 01-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

I should have started one this past season but did'nt.....and I know I will forget if not already forgot some of those times the deer came out. I will keep one next year.

Quick Reply: Do you keep a hunting journal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.