HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you keep a hunting journal?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Bulzeye
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you keep a hunting journal?

I only hunt deer, but I like to know my hunting ground thoroughly. I keep an informal "chicken scratch" log. Make entries every time I go out, either at lunch or at the end of the day.

The things I keep track of are wind speed and direction, temp, overcast or clear, recent and present precipitation. I've heard that many of these things can affect deer movement. I guess I should be keeping track of moon phases too.

THE most important thing I record is deer sightings including time of day and direction of travel. I like to try new stand locations often to make sure I get the big picture so my notes help a lot.
I like to scout every time I can, so I sometimes still hunt through an unexplored area, and make notes of anything interesting.

You never know when you'll find that big buck, hot trail, or a scrape that you could park a VW in (like the one I found last year).

I keep track because it helps me remember certain days and sightings. Also, I'm testing the theories about when and where deer move. I want to see if what I've heard applies to my area, or if my local deer have a unique pattern for one reason or another.

I recommend keeping a journal for any hunter.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.

Edited by - bulzeye on 01/23/2002 10:34:15