Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interested In buying a compound >

Interested In buying a compound

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interested In buying a compound

Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Interested In buying a compound

This Is not for me, I'll stick with my recurve's. The g/f surprised the hell out of me a few days ago and asked me what a bow, arrows, camo would cost her If she was to get Into bow hunting? I told her It wouldn't cost her anything If she was Interested In getting Into It and that I would pick up the tab. I can tell you this that I'm not going to be buying a 700.00 dollar bow for her. A 300.00 to 400.00 dollar bow will kill them just as much! The compound I'm going to get her will not be shot with a release, It will be fingers only. I plan on getting her bow for her birthday which Is March 11th so I've got plenty of time to do some looking. I figured I'd ask you all for opinions and see what you all think and say on what I should possibly go with. I'm a recurve shooter so I've been out of the compound scene for about 13 years. The compound I plan on getting her will have to be a little longer then what you all shoot to avoid the finger pinch when shooting fingers.

What you all think? Thanks In advance!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interested In buying a compound

Look at used ones. You can get some very good deals over on AT. I would reconsider the fingers/release thing. She will become accurate much faster with a release and this may be less frustrating and more enjoyable for her. Once you get her hooked on bowhunting you can then get her onto fingers. Just a suggestion. Anyway, once you decide on a bow then I would look for the arrows because you will know better what you are dealing with. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve if you are going to shoot fingers make it a longer axle to axle or she will claw your eyes out with her pinched fingers!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Schultzy!
Congratulations, that should be fun, i have to wait til my little girl is old enough although my wife likes to shoot the target with me. i really do not know of a recommendation as far aas what bow, but I'm sure you know that ArcheryTalk is the place to pick up what you need for a good price. They have a section just for women shooters and the prices can't be beat.
Good Luck
Dandbuck
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Look at used ones. You can get some very good deals over on AT. I would reconsider the fingers/release thing. She will become accurate much faster with a release and this may be less frustrating and more enjoyable for her. Once you get her hooked on bowhunting you can then get her onto fingers. Just a suggestion. Anyway, once you decide on a bow then I would look for the arrows because you will know better what you are dealing with. Good luck.
Good Advice!!

Steve, it would also be nice if you can find a bow that is draw length adjustable, either with mods, or a rotating mods. Enjoy the Hunt!

Dan
Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ill call ya.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steve, If you decide to look at a new bow. One of the best sellers is the Diamond Edge. Renamed Razor Edge this year. You should be able to get one in the $280 range, maybe less, and an add on package is available for about $50, Sight, peep, rest, quiver, sling.

Draw length is adjustable from 19" to 29"

Dan
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy, first congrats on your gf wanting to take up bowhunting. I bought my wife (she was my gf at the time) a bow a few years ago, and it was nice to be able to satisify her need to spend time with me, while still doing something that I love to do.

Take a look at the Alpine Frontier. It has a decent ATA lenght (35") and a good BH (7 3/4"), while still having a good IBO speed (300fps). It is priced good and Alpine makes a great bow. You might also want to look at PSE, they seem to be one of the few companies out there that still offer a big selection of long ATA bows, so I am sure they would have one in your price range.

You might also want to consider looking at the used market, finding a bow that is a few years old when 35-36" ATA bows were common.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Steve if you are going to shoot fingers make it a longer axle to axle or she will claw your eyes out with her pinched fingers!
Yep, that's the plan TeeJay. I want to keep my eye's!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Ill call ya.
Do that.

Quick Reply: Interested In buying a compound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.