Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow shop tools????? >

Bow shop tools?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow shop tools?????

Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bow shop tools?????

For those of you who do all your own upkeep on your bows, what tools would you recommend for someone who wants to start doing their own work. This is just on my bow, not a side job or anything. I am really sick of the young punks at the local big warehouse dealers. I do not have to say their names, but there isa Bass Pro and Sportsmans Warehouse close by. I do not have a local smalltown dealer around to help me with thingswith my bow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chris
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Bow shop tools?????

You need to be able to press your bow. You might be able to get by with a bowmender or other portable presses. You need to do this to install peeps, replace strings, rotate strings, etc. If you want to change limbs, you need a real press.

Bow scale (decent one) is a must

Arrow/string levels are nice for setting up initial nocking positions.

bow square/nock pliers/brass nocks (large and small)

You need some serving material, and loop material to tie in your own string loop.

Some string wax

Allen wrenches with variety of allen screws.

Spot Hogg laser alignment tool is nice, but not needed. Its good for setting idler wheels/ cams by bows with yokes attached to the limb.

Arrow cutter is handy. Not needed but dang handy if you don't want to step foot in your local dealers anymore.

Then after that, all you need is paper tuning setup. I made one out of 2X4's and old newspaper or wrapping paper. Rest of the tuning is done with broadheads or bareshafts.

Its nice to have a variety of arrows to try with different spines. Its good to keep molehair on hand, locktight (blue), axle lube, Variety of C-clip retainers, Retainer remover, lighter, propane torch, 3/8" punch for removing axles,

I also like to have a chronograph. They can tell you a alot. Espeically how your bow is changing over time. You start having issues with your bow, shoot it thru the chrony and see if you lost speed, then see if you lost poundage.

But also even with all this stuff, you need play and make a ton of mistakes.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow shop tools?????

I thought I'd be able to help you out on your list, but bigcountry pretty much covered all the bases