Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When I shoot my old bow what am I "feeling"?-technical talk >

When I shoot my old bow what am I "feeling"?-technical talk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When I shoot my old bow what am I "feeling"?-technical talk

Old 12-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When I shoot my old bow what am I "feeling"?-technical talk

Ok guys I need some help. I am in the market for a new bow in the spring. I want it to function more like an old bow I owned in the past. I used to have an old archaic Bear Whitetail Master. I pulled it out today and began shooting it after not having shot it the last couple of years. I immediately felt comfortable shooting it and was hitting great groups. I currently own a 2004 Reflex Excursion. To be honest, I feel like the Reflex bow "jerks" me out of full draw when I release. It is like I am not in control of the bow at the moment of release. With my old bow, the Whitetail Master I felt like I was glued into my bow, in complete control from draw through release. The Bear bow did not have hardly any let-off, which makes it tough to draw for a long period of time, but it did make me feel tuned into the bow. It feels very smooth upon release and I don't feel like the bow is jerking me out of control and the last second. The

Anyways guys, from a technical standpoint, what was I feeling with my old bow that made it feel so comfortable? What current bows have the same type of make up as my old Whitetail Master? I don't want a big bulky bow like my old bow, but would like the same type of smoothness and control I experienced as comparedto my current bow. After listening to my breakdown, what bows would you recommend I shoot and look at in the spring? I don't need anything fancy. Thank you.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When I shoot my old bow what am I "feeling"?-technical talk

It's impossible for me to tell you what is going to feel good to you. The Best advice I can give you is to shoot as many bows as you can for as long as possible. Take a couple of days and spend each day shooting bows at a couple of dealers.

It should become obvious to youwhat you like the feel of. I have owned easily over 100 bows of many different brands. High Country bows were my bow of choice for several years, and then I shot BowTech, and they moved up to starting position in 03.

I have shot and owned Mathews, Hoyt, BowTech, High Country, Oregon, Darton, PSE, Martin, Jennings, Bear, XI, and others. The High Country bows and now BowTech always felt better to me. One thing be sure and also shoot the Diamonds and the Ross line.

The Ross Carnivore 34 that I used on my recent NE. Turkey hunt was very impressive to me from the first time I laid my hands on it. It truly is a hunters Dream!!

Dan
Old 12-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice Mean, I plan on doing that but just wanted a starting point on my bow search. I actually liked my old bow in that it had a lower let-off because my muscles felt locked into the bow, therby improving my accuracy.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

It could be too much letoff on the newer bow or it could be draw length is too long.

Could be the feel of a 1 cam verses the 2 cam.

Many things could be the issue,do like MeanV suggest and shoot some bows,pay particular attention to letoff and draw length.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me like you could save yourself a ton of money by going back to the bow you connect with, the Bear Whitetail Master!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

The type of cams, longer axle to axle and the longer valley of they whitetail give you that smoother feeling. Or at least that lack of fighting you. The whitetails longer valley keeps you at the big let off over a longer draw length of the bow. With the Reflex you have a shorter valley, harsher cams and all that mumbo jumbo. If you creep just a little forward the bow wants to go off and it wants to yank you out of the valley and send the arrow down range. It's a product of the harsher cams designed for more speed and all that. With your Whitetail at 65% letoff the break over from full draw to release is not nearly as drastic as it is with your new bow. You want a little of both you should probably look at something like a Darton or something with the cam and a half modules, longer axle to axle etc etc.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know what the dimensions are on your old bow are, but the Excursion is somewhat of a short axle to axle bow. Maybe you can look into a longer axle to axle bow, in the 36"-38" range, with non-parallel limbs and a 65% let off.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

It could be too much letoff on the newer bow or it could be draw length is too long.

Could be the feel of a 1 cam verses the 2 cam.

Many things could be the issue,do like MeanV suggest and shoot some bows,pay particular attention to letoff and draw length.
This is exactly what I was about to post. If it is to long, the valley might be catching you to abruptly..... just a guess

Shane
Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you all very much for taking your time to help me out. I needed some technical words to help describe what I was feeling so I could get a jump start on my new hunting bow.

Bowhuntingfool---I would go back to it but the dang thing feels like it weighs 15 pounds! Plus it is very bulky.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Bowhuntingfool---I would go back to it but the dang thing feels like it weighs 15 pounds! Plus it is very bulky.
I hear ya, I picked up my old, old bow, a Hoyt Striker II and it was like picking up a bowling ball. I couldn't believe how heavy that thing is![8D] I don't know how I carried it thru the woods![&:]