Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I never knew...

Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 AM

Default RE: I never knew...

Im trying to BHF!! after Christmas!! thanks for a great response!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing I do notice is that EVERYBODY's bow is nice and admired for what it is it seems.........people have their prefered makes, stylesetc but there is no attacking one brand or the other within their ranks. Compound shooters seem to attach their whole identity to what bow they shoot and defend it to the death. LOL
These guys just love a sweet looking hunk of wood no matter who built it.

The only slight exception it seems is with Black Widow. They seem to be the "Mathews" of the Trad world. You'll see the "overpriced", "There are better bows for less money" "They only sell so many because of advertising" type stuff occasionally that seem to get pretty heated. Black Widow for whatever reason is a bit of a polarizing topic.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with everything in your last post, GUS. When I see posts like that.....I consider the source.

MAtt....don't you attribute that (what you speak of) to most bows being more "custom"? I think you'd see the same thing if there were 4-5 major mfr's of trad bows and hardly ANY custom bows.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

One thing I do notice is that EVERYBODY's bow is nice and admired for what it is it seems.........people have their prefered makes, styles etc but there is no attacking one brand or the other within their ranks. Compound shooters seem to attach their whole identity to what bow they shoot and defend it to the death. LOL
These guys just love a sweet looking hunk of wood no matter who built it.

The only slight exception it seems is with Black Widow. They seem to be the "Mathews" of the Trad world. You'll see the "overpriced", "There are better bows for less money" "They only sell so many because of advertising" type stuff occasionally that seem to get pretty heated. Black Widow for whatever reason is a bit of a polarizing topic.

Matt you nailed it! I noticed this when I first started going to the range with my Longbow. The Trad guys would come right over and want to see what kind of bow I was shooting, ask if they could shoot it or if I wanted to shoot theirs etc... and you would always get the curious guy that shoots a compound that wants to get into a Longbow or Recurve! Thats what I like about it the most, its supposed to be FUN and bring folks together, not separate us!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know of to many on here that actually hate a gun, rifle,or a X bow. I do however see a few on here that have been around long enough to see our bow season almost cut in half by special interest groups and are smart enough not to sit around with our thumbs stuck up our ass, and say nothing about it! There is a difference.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

I dont know of to many on here that actually hate a gun, rifle,or a X bow. I do however see a few on here that have been around long enough to see our bow season almost cut in half by special interest groups and are smart enough not to sit around with our thumbs stuck up our ass, and say nothing about it! There is a difference.
I'm eager to hear more of what you are talking about? What special interest groups?

Our bow season is the longest season of the year in WV? Hasyourseasonbeen reduced in MI.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

MAtt....don't you attribute that (what you speak of) to most bows being more "custom"? I think you'd see the same thing if there were 4-5 major mfr's of trad bows and hardly ANY custom bows.
I think the custom guys resent a little bit Black Widows as not being a "custom" bow and especially now that the risers are machined rather than handcrafted (mine is one of the last handcrafted models)
When in reality you can get a Black Widow in all sorts of custom configurations. I think a lot of the older Traditional guys who don't shoot BW are just anti "big company", "advertising", "commercialization" types and BW just rubs them the wrong way. LOL

The BW shooters do seem to be just a LITTLE more defensive of their bows and vocal of how much they prefer them as well.

IN any event they sure do seem to touch a nerve.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, I think I'd go the Habu route instead of the newer BW if I wanted that type of style. Don't have anything at all against BW, just personal preference. I have too many bows to shoot now though.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Gus....My bow season's getting ready to take a BIG hit next year. Well....not "really"....but you tell me.

Next year....gun season will open probably one MONTH earlier.....and that will mean it will encompass the entire rut. I live in a state that already takes more bucks than does.....and I see this as a HUGE hit on our herd managament.

So I blame gun hunters, though? Heck no. They're innocent (as far as I know) beneficiaries/tools of the NCWRC. I'd like to see us (if they're going to make this change) go to a one buck rule for the entire state.....and then reward the folks who fill their allotted doe tags (4) with an additional buck tag.

Our eastern NC zones already have a FOUR buck limit. Imagine having an extra MONTH to fill those tags with a rifle.....in a state where more bucks are already taken.

Just don't make sense.

But again....I DO NOT blame gun hunters for this. They're pawns.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

I'm eager to hear more of what you are talking about? What special interest groups?

Our bow season is the longest season of the year in WV? Hasyourseasonbeen reduced in MI.
Late 60's early 70's our bow season ran from Oct 1 to Dec 31, with only a 2 week gun season from Nov 15 to the 30. Fast forward to today. We have a youth season that comes in the weeked befor bow season starts, a handicaped rifle season in Oct followed by a special rifle doe season in Oct, still have the 2 week rifle season in Nov, then around the 10th of Dec Black Powder kickes in for 10 days followed by another rifle doe only season for 10 days. And now they want to allow the rifle hunters in the rest of the bow season packing X Bows.

Yes our Bow season has been reduced.

Quick Reply: I never knew...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.