Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb >

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Old 12-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Brett....the difference is (that either I didn't point out well....or you missed) is....why add something to your stand that will hold more HUMAN scent? That was my question.

That's it. Period. Forget I painted mine.

I don't think (and I'm not trying to be a smartass) deer have a propensity to be alerted to "paint" smell as much as they do human scent. I honestly (in retrospect) don't think they can smell the paint, after it's been up and down 80+ times....sprayed with scent killer numerous times....left out all night several times.....rained on several times....etc...

But hey I don't know paint. I'll take your word for it.

If they can.....there's a lot of people (in this thread) who've killed upwards of probably 15+ deer, this season, out of LW's we've added paint to.

Still not saying they can't smell it.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I do get what you are trying to say and I apologize for this turning into a pissing contest. I agree that deer get used to a paint smell, it goes away over time, etc. Hell, I hunt out of painted stands too. I guess I just got a little defensive on the tape thing. I am just trying to point out that duck tape, while the edges may be porous, the vinyl covered side is not. The tape over time, just like the paint, after being sprayed and left out in the woods looses much of it's smell and it's ability to "hold" scent. I truly have never had any concerns about it holding any of my scent and to my knowledge it never has.

I agree with HCH on the fact that I think we all get a little too caught up in the scent elimination game. Bottom line is to take all of the precautions you can, but the main thing is to put the wind in your face. If a deer gets behind you on your downwind side all the precautions in the world may or may not help. In 23 yrs. of doing this I have had it go both ways.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with HCH on the fact that I think we all get a little too caught up in the scent elimination game. Bottom line is to take all of the precautions you can, but the main thing is to put the wind in your face. If a deer gets behind you on your downwind side all the precautions in the world may or may not help. In 23 yrs. of doing this I have had it go both ways.
Common ground.

My apologies, as well.....and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Merry Christmas to you, your family and those who have had the misfortune of reading this debacle.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, so far I have these modifications to make.

1. I am wrapping the sit-bar with some of the camo hockey tape. (it has no odor, and besides, my stands always get sprayed with scent-killer and left outside all season)

2. Foot rests already purchased, just need to install.

3. Wolf Jaws (for Allegiance)

4. Gray Wolf Padded Backpack Straps

5. Turn bolts around. (Thanks Greg)

6. Will be purchasing XL Traction Belts after season.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Now, for my first climb, and observations. I believe I will like the seat (08 model) believe it or not. It is not a Summit seat, but I believe I could do an all day with it. I am having a hard time deciding what to do with the seat while climbing though, being you are so close to the tree. (Noise issue) I can see where GregMO's advice on the screws will benefit on smaller trees for sure. The lightness of the top section will take some getting acquainted with. The support straps will be ok. I really do not see me needing the full length though. (I am only 5'9"[&o]) They do offer a secure, solid feel to the stand once you are set up. The sit/climb bar is ok. I really like the capability to fold it down once at hunting height or leave it out front if desired. It is a source of noise if anything hard touches it though. I will be taking care of that immediately.

Other than these few issues, I love it. I put a pair of Summit Backpack straps on temp. and walked around with it. Love how it folds flat on your back. Lighter than the Viper. Not much, but seems easier to pack.

Any other suggestions always welcome.

Thanks, LT
Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

3. Wolf Jaws (for Allegiance)
Do you stand when you hunt?
Do you shoot (ever) from a sitting position?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually do both Jeff. It may be a little overkill, but I like the idea of having the bow that close in front of me in certain situations without having to hold it. Other times it may be hanging on the bow hook.

Why the question?

LT
Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

hardcorehunter said it best. Hunt the wind. I have painted my Summit in a cool Predator style camo when I first got it. I did this over the winter and left it outside most of the year to air out and let the paint cure. It doesn't have any smell to it. At least not that I can tell.

In any event, this scent free game is getting out of hand IMO. Everything we take to the woods smells, I don't care what we do. I just try to keep it to a minimum and hunt the wind. I believe deer have an acceptable level of human scent before they go on alert. Can they recognize the slight smell of paint and associate it with humans? I seriously doubt it.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Robert, I'm not familure with the bow you'll be using, but with my Vectrix I found that by making a template of theWolf Jaw and putting it under the original (actually doubling it as in this pic) one, it allows the bow to lean more forward so as not to crowd you. Also, unless it makes you feel safer, (because it doesn't MAKE you safer,I would fold that sit bar up under the seat, keeping it out of the way for the reason you mentioned. Don't forget to file those grippers.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

EI, can you send me some close-up photos of the teeth and what exactly you mean? I saw the one pic you sent, but could not tell a lot about it.

Thanks, LT

Quick Reply: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.