Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb >

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

I actually do both Jeff. It may be a little overkill, but I like the idea of having the bow that close in front of me in certain situations without having to hold it. Other times it may be hanging on the bow hook.

Why the question?
Because I thought the LW bow holder was a cool idea, too.....until I thought about what would happen if it was in the holder and I was standing. I stand a LOT more than I sit, these days.

I use a bow hook and place it where I can reach it from a sitting or standing position. If I sat all the time.....I'd use the holder like EI has.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

EI, can you send me some close-up photos of the teeth and what exactly you mean? I saw the one pic you sent, but could not tell a lot about it.

Thanks, LT
I think this might be a little better to see what I mean. Those platforms come from a poured mold, and generally the edges are only so pointy. By filing them with a flat file you can get them much sharper/more pointed for a superior grip. Simply do the same thingwith the seat section.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks EI. Will do.

Jeff, I see where you are coming from. I will always have a bow hook anyways for my pack/quiver. I will give an update after I try it.

LT
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I actually do both Jeff. It may be a little overkill, but I like the idea of having the bow that close in front of me in certain situations without having to hold it. Other times it may be hanging on the bow hook.

Why the question?
Because I thought the LW bow holder was a cool idea, too.....until I thought about what would happen if it was in the holder and I was standing. I stand a LOT more than I sit, these days.

I use a bow hook and place it where I can reach it from a sitting or standing position. If I sat all the time.....I'd use the holder like EI has.
You're right Jeff. If you stand mostly,that bow holder is pretty much worthless. I sit until I see a deer coming, then I grab my bow and very slowly stand (most of the time)for the shot.I find I'll figit (sp)much less, especially on an all day sit, if I'm sitting. Just me.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

I have never used the LW brand bowholder that goes in the platform so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. It says that it works on most bows. This bowholder on my Lone Wolf works on ALL bows. Where I hunt we have high winds at times and also exremely calm conditions. At no time has the wind attemped to blow my bows out of this holder, nor has this bow holder made any kind of noise while removing my bow in extreme quiet no wind conditions. Works slick and is very easy to use. Cheap, available at almost any store, and installs in minutes. I started off with this mount on my left side up close to the rear of the stand. It affected my ability to sprawl out my long legs. I mounted it to the front left and it is perfect. easy to access my bow and doesn't affect my leg movement.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don, that looks like a good hook-up for the bow. And out of the way as well. The built in bow holder on the LW doesn't hold most of the split limb bows, that's why they came out with the Wolf Jaws.Oh yea, that Yukon Moose trip sounds awesome! I'm sure that's a pricey one.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Guys don't get upset when I state my opinions.

2) take out the screws that attach the armsto the bottom platform whichcurrentlystop your bottom traction belt... flip the screws over and your belt will pass on through and it won't prohibit you from getting in smaller trees.
Greg, maybe if later I get the XL belts but with the standard belts I dare not to climb in smaller trees than I already do.

EI, I see no need to file the teeth because the LW is not going anywhere. To get over a hump or knot in a tree while going back down, I've litterally jumped the hump a few times. I've also climbed trees I wouldn't dare with other climbers(such as icy or slick trees). But what makes it work better for you is what matters.

Also..............it may be nice to know the platform can be adjusted in the air if need be, but I have honestly only needed to once but didn't. If I am going to climb a tree that is quite large at the base and I plan on going really high, I will place the stand headhigh and then climb up on the platform making it unnecessary to level the platform at hunting height. The other day in the riverbottoms I had to get higher than I really like due to the leaves being gone and the woods in this bottom is pretty open. My hoist rope is exactly 30' long. When I reached my chosen height I looked down and the hoist rope had just barely started lifting my bow up. I don't like being that high while hunting, but I was.

Anyway, just some things I do or I guess don't do.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Guys don't get upset when I state my opinions.

2) take out the screws that attach the armsto the bottom platform whichcurrentlystop your bottom traction belt... flip the screws over and your belt will pass on through and it won't prohibit you from getting in smaller trees.
Greg, maybe if later I get the XL belts but with the standard belts I dare not to climb in smaller trees than I already do.

EI, I see no need to file the teeth because the LW is not going anywhere. To get over a hump or knot in a tree while going back down, I've litterally jumped the hump a few times. I've also climbed trees I wouldn't dare with other climbers(such as icy or slick trees). But what makes it work better for you is what matters.

Also..............it may be nice to know the platform can be adjusted in the air if need be, but I have honestly only needed to once but didn't. If I am going to climb a tree that is quite large at the base and I plan on going really high, I will place the stand headhigh and then climb up on the platform making it unnecessary to level the platform at hunting height. The other day in the riverbottoms I had to get higher than I really like due to the leaves being gone and the woods in this bottom is pretty open. My hoist rope is exactly 30' long. When I reached my chosen height I looked down and the hoist rope had just barely started lifting my bow up. I don't like being that high while hunting, but I was.

Anyway, just some things I do or I guess don't do.

I welcome other people's opinions. You're absolutely right, you don't "need" to do any ofthese suggested things to the LW stand. They simply help a little bit.You can't say that seat section won't slip from time to time though. That's why I put a screw-in hook behind and under that traction belt. But, you don't need to do this either I guess.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Using a screw in hook is a good idea. I used to use a bungi cord and just wrapped around the belt, but I now find using the sidestraps I don't even need to do that. Of course up until a couple years ago I never even used sidestraps, that was dumb tho I never dropped the platform.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys, just needed to ressurect this thread for a question. What is the difference in the old Cam-loks for the traction belts and the new Cam-loks? The ones on mine seem to be pretty dang stiff. Are the new ones easier on the fingers?

Thanks, LT

Quick Reply: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.