Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So. Fawns revisisted >

So. Fawns revisisted

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So. Fawns revisisted

Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: So. Fawns revisisted

I think I am done killing fawns. I have done it several times in places where its manditory to take a doe/fawn first, but meat is tender, but not much taste. You have to inject it, and baste it to get a good taste.Even when you are skinning it, meat comes off with fur. You don't get much meat out of it. One year, I actually seeked fawns because of tender meat.But I am turning into a old softy these days.

But hey, if you want one, take her. A deer is a deer.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have killed 4 they taste great and i will do it again if i get the chance
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not yet I haven't. My season Is over December 31st and If I still have a tag the last 3 to 4 days a doe fawn will catch some heck.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have in the past but I'm at the point where I probably wont again...unless I got really hungry, haha. They are nice and tender and eat great, but you don't get a whole lot of meat out of them. I also worry about shooting button bucks too, I'd rather see them grow up a little. If someone is young or just getting into hunting my advice would be to go ahead a shoot a fawn if they give you a good shot. Once you get a few under your belt then you should start thinking about getting picky, IMO.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have in the past. Not anymore. Might be a button buck. I cut meat for alot of guys and see a bunch every year. I give discounts to those who do b/c I feel bad for them. They give me $45 to get 25-30lbs of meat............ and thats with no meat destroyed. I'd rather shoot a 1.5-2.5 yr old doe. Still small but the yield is higher.
My wife likes the fawns for eating. I told her you want them shoot them yourself.
FYI. they take nearly as long to cut up as any other deer. I might save 10-15min of time cutting. Not worth it in my books.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot plenty. When we do we usually cook some steaks fresh so its even better. My dad, my sister, and I kill deer every year so we have plenty of meat and options on what to shoot so its not a waste to shoot a small one.

I did shoot a b.b. one time accidently and was pretty upset. I really didnt mean to, and it was an instance where the deer ran in quick, and i drew quick and shot. I didnt realize until i found it that it was a b.b. It was still a good clean kill and i was proud of teh accomplishment, just wouldnt want to kill a future monster!
Derek
Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot two last year. I'm done shooting them I think.....unless I take a doe fawn with the longbow. I must be getting soft, too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking them, though.....and here we have basically unlimited doe tags.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM

I shot one this year, and will shot more if they come around and I have an antlerless tag. The meat is very good, I have a tag, the doe fawns meet management strategies, blah, blah. Biggest reason is cause I have a tag and I go hunting to kill something.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM

I did! A doe and 2 fawns came in and the doe busted me and took off so I took the next deer in line! she was good!!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did. No regrets. Taste is superb!

Quick Reply: So. Fawns revisisted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.