Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkeys roosting >

Turkeys roosting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkeys roosting

Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Turkeys roosting

I know the deer hear them everyday and don't associate them with danger but DAYUM those buggers can be loud. They scare the crap out of me sometimes. Think they have any effect on deermovement?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Turkeys roosting

Well, how about sound?

I was blind calling one day with my grunt call when it was 12 degrees out. After my first session I waited 15 minutes before I was going to try again. When I tried, my call was froze up. I started to slowly breath warm air into the call to thaw it out when it broke loose and let out a loud awful squawk! A big buck came charging across the creek so .... I shot him. I have never scared off a deer with a call, except the time I rattled at a 90" buck with a set of 150" antlers!

Try banging an aluminum arrow on your stand or have your stand give off a metallic creek!

Deer don't seem to be too concerned about hearing natural sounds, like sticks breaking and such but foreign, metallic noises will definitely get their attention.

Don't be afraid to use your calls.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, the only way they will associate turkey sounds with danger would be if you alerted a hen and she started "putting". I do believe deer hone in on "natural" danger sounds from other wildlife.
Several years ago, I was still hunting down a creek when I spotted a nice buck about 150 yards out front, just laying on a hillside. At the same time, a squirrel picked up my movement and started "barking" at me. The buck payed no attention to the squirrel until the dang thing wouldn't quit barking. After about 15 min., their was a noticeable difference in how the buck was reacting to this barking. He stood up and was all eyes and ears in my direction. I had the wind in my favor so I was ok. He watched intently in my direction until finally the squirrel quite barking. A few minutes after that the buck layed back down. It was fascinating to watch! Don't think deer don't pay attention to natural warning signs!
Squirrel barks, turkey putts, heron squaks, etc.., if short, you're probably ok, but if persistent they will investigate.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM

I love roosted turkey with stuffing.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Think they have any effect on deermovement?
Nope. I've seen many deer and turkey in the same spot repeatably.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

like was said, the only way turkey sounds will deter deer, will be when the turkeys keen eyes bust you and they alarm putt.

i had 2 young bucks (1.5yos) come into an orchard one morning...a squirrel behind me busted me as i was reaching for the binocs and started barking...the bucks went alert and looked around and decided to slip in the back door of the thicket pretty quick....

after that, im convinced that deer use other wildlife to alert them of any possible danger...

we actually had a pretty big buck hang out with a flock of turkeys...cant really "prove" anything...but when the turkeys were around, we could almost always find him...(till hunting season of course...thats when having turkeys as friends paid off.....) all those extra GREAT sets of eyeballs....id say thats a smart buck!!! seemed like he was with them WAY too much for it to be a coincidence..could have been i guess
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

They can be noisy as heck! But no, I doubt deer even flinch from the sounds of turkeys going about their business. I actually watched a flock of turkeys get into a fight one morning while I was on stand. They were beating the crap out of on another and out of no where, a big doe came out and actually walked toward the fighting birds, ears erect and staring intently at them. It was as if she was going in to break up the racket.

Something that I never realized this season was how loud grouse can be in the trees. I watched two of them fly back and forth from tree to tree eating and just making a heck of a lot of noise. Amazed me.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

Turks are noisy, and I have seen them together with deer, on multiple occasions.

I LOVE turkey hunting.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Turks are noisy, and I have seen them together with deer, on multiple occasions.

I LOVE turkey hunting.
x2 on both counts. I remember seeing a 160 class whitetail top a hill years ago with 5 turkey around him like body guards. It was back when I first started hunting, and me and my dad were in awe. Never got the shot off, but man what a print that would have made to have a snapshot of that moment.

Spook a turkey, and they can tip off deer. Remain invisble to turkey, and I honestly believe it relaxes the deer to hear other animals at ease in their area. Just a guess from limited experience of mine, but it seems they are all to comfortable with turkey around.