Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

roosting turkeys

Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default roosting turkeys

I have a question do turkeys roost in the same place all the time. I know from year to year they are in the same place but wondering if they roost differant places from time to time.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Default RE: roosting turkeys

They don't roost in the same place all the time. They may stick around for a few days but they move on to better things. I used to pattern the turkeys near our place. They would roost one spot for a while and then move to the next. I had them figured out pretty good. They usually hit up the white pines but Ive seen them roost in bare trees as well.

Sometimes you never know what those crazy turkeys are going to do.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep.....gota agree....somethings they do......sometimes for whatever reason the switch it up....but i know of some birds that are there daily unless something major happens.....spooked....and ive kinda noticed that when storms move in late in the day they arent there the next day...my theory is that maybe they roost where they are caught in the storm or whatever....i dont know for sure....just seems that way......ive hunted some birds that roost all over the woods....same general area but all around....then other birds roost in the SAME exact tree daily.....all depends......
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually if a turkey roosts in a certain area each spring, he will come back there each year. Even if its only for a week or two. But yes they do move from different areas as the season changes.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:23 AM
Banned

They roost around here in a different trees all the time..maybe if the trees were slim pickin' but not here in our big timbers.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
neb
Typical Buck

In my area there is not many trees but draws have trees. They do have some choises but not to many. They might be more consistant here verses where there is a lot of timber. Would you agree with that. When they roost do they have to behigh in the tree or will they sit 15 feet off the ground. What do they like. Thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM

Turkeys will do whatever they feel like doing. I've seen them roost high and low. They tend to get higher though. Don't let anyone tell you that turkeys fly up well before last light either. I always believed this until this past season bowhunting. It was just about dark and I heard something walking. Must be a deer I thought. It was a turkey. It was so dark that the turkey was almost invisible.

So I take alot of things people tell me with a grain of salt. You just have to get out there and see for yourself. Animals are capable of doing anything.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Thanks for the knowledge you have shared. I live in eastern Mt. and we have wide open country for the most part. Turkeys can be any where in the breaks or bad lands and I think they wonder miles each day. They are hard to pattern here but I know they are in one draw for sure most of the time each morning. I hunt where there isgrain fields and large pastures. Each year I can find them there but like you said they maybe don't always roost there.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:10 PM

Is season still in there or not?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Ducsauce the season closed last weekend but still I can't get enough of it. I'm still trying to learn everything I can about them. We can get 2 birds a year both in the spring [gooblers]or hens or gooblers in the fall. I never have hunted them in the fall here because I like to call them in. I got a very old merrium this spring and I will try it this fall. I did try to get one more this spring but was not successful but had fun trying.

Quick Reply: roosting turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.