Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone else eat this? >

Anyone else eat this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone else eat this?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone else eat this?

When I was little long before I started hunting my dad would always cook a breakfast after he killed a deer. This would consist of eggs, hashbrowns, and what I just always thought was tenderloins or round steaks from the deer. After a few years of eating it my dad finally informed that I was actually eating the heart of the deer.

I was at first disguisted by it, and it took me a few more times of eating it before I could actually enjoy it again. Now that I have gotten used to the taste and the fact that I am actually eating heart, I thourghly enjoy it. We never use a heart shot deer, or one out of an old mature buck. However this little breakfast has become almost atradition the next morning after a successful hunt.

I have not met any other hunter around here other than my dad that will do this...just wondering if anyone else here digs in on a little deer heart every now and then?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone else eat this?

I used to save the heart and liver for my grandfather but after he passed away, I started leaving it behind. He used to stuff and back the heart. I never tried. it.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been eating heart all my life!! Allot of people I know eat the heart, It's damn near the best part of the deer If you ask me.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had it. If I ever figure out how to fix itI may try it. I have had the liver when my grandfather used to make it...it was great....

Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes i do, i love it, it taste great. something else you should try is pickeling the heart and eating it on sandwiches, it is very good.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Been eating heart all my life!! Allot of people I know eat the heart, It's damn near the best part of the deer If you ask me.
Must be something about you recurve hunters because thats what the old man always packed into the woods with him lol.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Never had it. If I ever figure out how to fix itI may try it. I have had the liver when my grandfather used to make it...it was great....

All I do is cut it out of the deer and let it soak in water in the fridge over night. The next morning I take it out clean it out really good and cut it into steaks. Throw into some flour and into the skillet and ready to eat.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Must be something about you recurve hunters because that what the old man always packed into the woods with him lol.
LMAO!! It could be!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fried, Boiled, broiledor stuffed and baked, I have tried it all.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

All I do is cut it out of the deer and let it soak in water in the fridge over night. The next morning I take it out clean it out really good and cut it into steaks. Throw into some flour and into the skillet and ready to eat.
Next deer I shoot I may try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.