Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is? >

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

I'd love to see a scoring system that put straight "Gross" score as the primary measure. But the arguement would be that typical bucks wouldnt have a chance in that catagory over crazy freakish Non typicals. All the top bucks in every state would be NT's
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

There could still be categories recognizing symetry, just have a min or max number of nontypical points. Say a buck has over 15" of abnormalities or asymetry, he goes into the NT category, everyone else in the Typical category.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

You colud still have typical and non typical catagories.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont get it either.They want a wild animal to have nice clean symmetry

Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

and Jeff I do understand, you guys have more deer running around on 5 acres there than I probably have on a hundred here!
Shed...

Ask Rob and Will what it's like hunting here. Rob had one shooting opp. in 5 hunts this year (2 fawns).....and Will and I didn't see a deer until our 4th (out of 6) hunts. Will shot this deer on the last hour of the last day.

Rob:

Man we were frantically trying to get things done and get to dinner with friends. We didn't think about the bow. Sorry. By the time we thought about it.....he was in pieces[8D].

But Troy....yes...we have likely a lot more deer than you But being fair.....NO deer reside on the old grounds I hunt (where WIll and I were.....and Rob for the most part). We're relying on them to travel through.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

and Jeff I do understand, you guys have more deer running around on 5 acres there than I probably have on a hundred here!
Shed...

Ask Rob and Will what it's like hunting here. Rob had one shooting opp. in 5 hunts this year (2 fawns).....and Will and I didn't see a deer until our 4th (out of 6) hunts. Will shot this deer on the last hour of the last day.

Rob:

Man we were frantically trying to get things done and get to dinner with friends. We didn't think about the bow. Sorry. By the time we thought about it.....he was in pieces[8D].

But Troy....yes...we have likely a lot more deer than you But being fair.....NO deer reside on the old grounds I hunt (where WIll and I were.....and Rob for the most part). We're relying on them to travel through.
Jeff,what happened to all the deer? Its just always seemed like in the past you had a ton of deer around according to your reports.. Die off? Slow movement this season? Development moving in? what's up?? Again, its probably something you've shared this season I just havent been around enough to read up and keep up with everyone..

I know here this year, I have seen the Least amount of mature bucks EVER in a season and the general reports across the 3 counties that I have been hunting is the same.. Tough winter last year and POOR hunting weather during the rut here are too blame.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Troy:

Combination of a few things.

1. When ROb and Matt were here....they were still feeding in the ag fields. Since we didn't have access to them (I couldn't take them in those spots).....we had slim pickings (as I always have in the past).

After they get on the mast crops....I see more deer (always have).

2. When Will was here.....the farmer to my S controls all the bean fields. He cut the beans on his side ONLY.....in prep. for gun season (he's a gun hunter) and left the rest of the beans standing. I figure the deer were bedding near the cut bean fields and feeding there.

We ended up seeing about 12 or so deer in 6 sits. Will probably only saw 7, total.

MY overall sightings have benn down this year....but I attribute that to hunting buck areas in lieu of "deer" hunting.....which is what I've done in the past.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

No matter how you score a rack someone won't be happy. If you shoot a buck that benefits from the scoring system you are happy. If your buck doesn't you will complain. I like the scoring system for a couple of reasons. 1. If someone is telling me about their deer and gives me scoring info I can get a visual in my mind of what the deer looks like. 2. pictures tend to make deer eithor look bigger than they are or smaller than they are. A scoreputs the pic. in perspective for me. The one thing that always baffled me was the spread measurement.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

No matter how you score a rack someone won't be happy. If you shoot a buck that benefits from the scoring system you are happy. If your buck doesn't you will complain. I like the scoring system for a couple of reasons. 1. If someone is telling me about their deer and gives me scoring info I can get a visual in my mind of what the deer looks like. 2. pictures tend to make deer eithor look bigger than they are or smaller than they are. A scoreputs the pic. in perspective for me. The one thing that always baffled me was the spread measurement.
I hear ya...a measurement of the amount of "air" between the beams doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

There could still be categories recognizing symetry, just have a min or max number of nontypical points. Say a buck has over 15" of abnormalities or asymetry, he goes into the NT category, everyone else in the Typical category.
It's either Typical or It Isn't Mike If you were going to go your route of scoring. No matter what someone Isn't going to be happy with the way It Is. It's been like this for years, except It for what It Is as I don't see It changing anytime soon.

Quick Reply: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.