HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/278132-p-y-scoring-why-way.html)

GMMAT 12-12-2008 08:36 AM

P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

I can see the desire to want to reward a particularly symmetrical animal.....but to me it's "seemingly" more about NOT recognizing an equally (more?) impressive animal (via deductions).

I realize I'm an outsider looking in.....and my interest in joining this org. is miniscule.....but I'm wondering why they have adopted such a (as far as I can tell) vastly unpopular scoring method???

I'm talking strictly whitetails, here.

early in 12-12-2008 08:40 AM

RE: P&Y Scoring...WHY is it the way it is?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I can see the desire to want to reward a particularly symmetrical animal.....but to me it's "seemingly" more about NOT recognizing an equally (more?) impressive animal (via deductions).

I realize I'm an outsider looking in.....and my interest in joining this org. is miniscule.....but I'm wondering why they have adopted such a (as far as I can tell) vastly unpopular scoring method???

I'm talking strictly whitetails, here.
Jeff, B&C does the same thing with their scoring system.

buckeye 12-12-2008 08:44 AM

The clubwas formed in 1961 and patterned after the Boone & Crockett club. Boone & Crockett's scoring system was based off of the way they measured horns (cattle) which rewarded symmetry.

I doubt these clubs ever thought deer hunting would be where it is today.

These clubs wanted to promote conservation and fair chase as well askeep a log of "outstanding" specimens that were killed.

YooperMike 12-12-2008 08:45 AM

I completely agree with you Jeff. The deductions irritate me as well, especially on spectacular deer. Not sure what a better way would be, but I think the only true way to determine overal growth of antlers would be by volume, as in a tank of water and measure displacement. It would certainly be a bite in teh shorts to shoot a monster deer, like near-record size, and then have it come WAY down because of a couple abnormal points.

GMMAT 12-12-2008 08:46 AM

OK....lump them in there, too.

Same question.

Let's use Matt/PA's buck from last year as an example. I have NO IDEA whether it made P&Y Net Min. or not. I wouldn't be surprised (based on their scoring system) if it didn't.

So you've got a buck pushing 150" that doesn't make "book"?

Enlighten me.......WHAT have you helped (as far as recording what bucks are taken in what areas) if you have a perfectly symmetrical buck taken by Matt's neighbor that scores 128"......and it makes the book.....and Matt's doesn't? What can you tell about Matt's area by the statisitics, now?

Which buck would YOU have rather taken? Which buck would YOU rather know is indicative of what the area can produce?

YooperMike 12-12-2008 08:48 AM

Same question.

Let's use Matt/PA's buck from last year as an example. I have NO IDEA whether it made P&Y Net Min. or not. I wouldn't be surprised (based on their scoring system) if it didn't.

Enlighten me.......WHAT have you helped (as far as recording what bucks are taken in what areas) if you have a perfectly symmetrical buck taken by Matt's neighbor that scores 128"......and it makes the book.....and Matt's doesn't? What can you tell about Matt's area by the statisitics, now?

Which buck would YOU have rather taken? Which buck would YOU rather know is indicative of what the area can produce?
NEver thought about it from a stastical perspective. Interesting point, only bucks in the "book" are going to be used for stat purposes. Interesting.

NCRemington700 12-12-2008 08:48 AM

They're stuck with it now! Imagine how crazy things would be if they did away with net vs. gross? That would totally shake up everything.

Schultzy 12-12-2008 08:49 AM

Same question.

Matts buck was scored wrong IMO.

buckeye 12-12-2008 08:51 AM

Matt's buck will easily make P&Y. It was scored wrong.

GMMAT 12-12-2008 08:53 AM

I used it as an EXAMPLE.