Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nobody to blame but yourself... >

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nobody to blame but yourself...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nobody to blame but yourself...

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It's all by chance...50/50 either your going to see deer or not and another 50/50if those deer will bein bow range.
Yeah.....Buuuuut....I'd like to think I stack those odds a lot beter than that.

Make your own "luck"?
Trust me, I don't just go hop into the first straight tree I find on the easiest path possible. I do scout, I do find prime locations, I do not hunt directly in a bedding area, I hunt close to a water source, etc.

I don't care what you do...it's still 50/50.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Dubbya....I kinda get what your saying, but I don't see how one can blame yourself if on day #4 of your hunt no deer decide to show up, when days 1-3 you seen deer? Nobody can control deer movement. So, according to your statement, well then I should have moved...ok, let's say I did move becauseI just "knew" that the deer would change there pattern on day#4 and I pick a spot where I have hunted in the past and have had success, but again, no deer...how is someone supposed to "blame" themselves for that?

It's all by chance...50/50 either your going to see deer or not and another 50/50if those deer will bein bow range.

You guys are putting to much pressure on yourselves.
I get you too, it's not about pressure at all. My answer to your above scenario is this: On days 1-3, you didn't connect, (let's assume there is a deer worth shooting on that property) that deer was somewhere in that 3 day span but you weren't in the right place. I'm not saying that I'm always in the right place or neither is anyone else or we'd all tag out on opening day. What I am saying is that it's up to you to find where that deer is at when he isn't where you were on days 1-3...
Then, as you try to find out where that deer is, you jump him out of his core area and it's your fault for looking for him too hard. It's an endless cycle. I try not to find blame for me not connecting on the deer I'm after. Sometimes it just doesn't happen....for me at least.
I understand your thought, nobody likes to try and find reasons why it, "just doesn't happen" because bottom line is that we didn't put ourself in the right place at the right time to make it happen. Do you agree?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it isn't "your" fault.....whose faultis it?

Isn't it THAT simple? If you don't succeed......who's fault is it?
This is a 2 part question right?

If I release my arrow at a deer and hit a tree limb or drop my bow arm...that's my fault 100%

If I sit and sit....change stand locations and sit some more and have nothing close enough to shoot at....wasn't meant to be. But for the record...never had that happen to me
Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Solo....I hunted 70+ times before I tagged my first buck this year. If I'd gone through the whole season without one....the last thing I'd cite would be that the deer didn't cooperate on their 50%.

Just a difference in philosophy I suppose. Not saying I'm right.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Solo....I hunted 70+ times before I tagged my first buck this year. If I'd gone through the whole season without one....the last thing I'd cite would be that the deer didn't cooperate on their 50%.

Just a difference in philosophy I suppose. Not saying I'm right.
GMMAT...I know that is not the "norm"...not seeing a deer within range for an entire season. But I am privledged to be living a state that's pretty decent for deer hunting with a bow. Andyou are right, if a guy goes a whole season here in IL without at least getting a shot off...it prob. is his fault.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

"My wife don't like deer mounts, anyways."

I like that one! I'm saving that one for myself, one day.

Nice good one..
Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Dubbya....I kinda get what your saying, but I don't see how one can blame yourself if on day #4 of your hunt no deer decide to show up, when days 1-3 you seen deer? Nobody can control deer movement. So, according to your statement, well then I should have moved...ok, let's say I did move becauseI just "knew" that the deer would change there pattern on day#4 and I pick a spot where I have hunted in the past and have had success, but again, no deer...how is someone supposed to "blame" themselves for that?

You guys are putting to much pressure on yourselves.
I get you too, it's not about pressure at all. My answer to your above scenario is this: On days 1-3, you didn't connect, (let's assume there is a deer worth shooting on that property) that deer was somewhere in that 3 day span but you weren't in the right place. I'm not saying that I'm always in the right place or neither is anyone else or we'd all tag out on opening day. What I am saying is that it's up to you to find where that deer is at when he isn't where you were on days 1-3...
Then, as you try to find out where that deer is, you jump him out of his core area and it's your fault for looking for him too hard. It's an endless cycle. I try not to find blame for me not connecting on the deer I'm after. Sometimes it just doesn't happen....for me at least.
I understand your thought, nobody likes to try and find reasons why it, "just doesn't happen" because bottom line is that we didn't put ourself in the right place at the right time to make it happen. Do you agree?
If it doesn't happen, then no, I didn't put myself in the right place at the right time. All signs may have pointed to "that place" being the "right place" at that time, but it wasn't.

This buck showed up at this spot between 7:30 and 11:00 am on 11/6 going south, 11/7 going north, 11/8 going south, 11/9 going northand 11/10 going south. Based on those dates and times, he should havebeen travelingnorth through here on 11/11, but he didn't. I sure thought I put myself in the right place at the right time. Wind was good that day. Didn't spook anything going in. Just didn't happen. Not going to blame myself for not getting it done. He just decided to change his routine. Maybe found a hot doe, I don't know. Can't control that. Sure, I know, 11/6-11/10 were right times but I couldn't hunt those days. Can't control that either.

If you can't see the pic, he's close to a 140" eight point.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 PM

It's always Dubbya's fault....

Finally he learns!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every married man out there already knows it's his fault.[8D]
Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Site Buck Guru

I had a big buck standing on a trail I was watching one time and he finally took a step toward me and stopped. He paused for a minute then took off the other way..... fast. I thought, "what the heck happened?". Seconds later a pair of dogs came through and got on his trail and began baying(?) as they started trailing him.

Whose fault was that?

Quick Reply: Nobody to blame but yourself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.