Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long is the gun season in your State ?

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

DropTine, I don't want to debate this. I just don't like the generalizations. I love each season. Bow, rifle, ML and I would like to break down bow into different catagories. Early , rut, and late season. Each has it's own challenges and I get an opertunity to employ different tactics with each. It's enjoyable for me to be able to mix it up a bit. I can understand some of your frustrations but your last statement is not true for all and it's damaging to our sport.
Though you "have little desire to gun hunt" it's not fair to those of us who do.
Understood. I can appreciatte that.

I think it's far different when comparing other States to NJ, though. NJ is no longer a rural agricultural State. Many developments, centers, and playgrounds. Very little private land of any substantial size. Parks border almost every hunting parcel, public land is more frequented by non-hunters than hunters.

I think firearms hunting in NJ is unsafe, only because of the number of hunters compared to the lack of habitat and extreme population of humans.

Not to mention, when you bring firearms into the mix, MOST of NJ becomes a "kill zone". There is little area for deer to escape.

I just cant understand how such a small and populated State can justify such a long firearms season. Now, I know money is a motivation as well as controlling the deer herd.

But, if we were to cut the firearms season down to even say 1month(which I think is stilltoo long), it would make for a safer hutning experience(already had a few cases where bullets hit homes and barns this year), and allow for higher quality bucks. Simply because, in other States, firearms hunting does NOT give the hunter an extreme advantage, just a little added range. In NJ, like I said, everythign becomes a kill zone.

I agree with you Magic...But for this State, things are different.
Our state is really a lot more like yours than you think! especially on public land. I go to great lengths to escape the masses and have an enjoyable hunt. This year I waited 5 days after the season started to wait until most of the guys quit and I would have a more peaceful hunt. We have our share of stray bullet stories too. This season while a little girl was waiting for the bus a bullet wizzed by her and hit the windshield of their car.[:'(]

Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

In MD:

early MZ season - 9 days
yough sseason - 1 day
firearms - 14 days
late M - 13 days
late firearms - 2 days

That adds up to 39 days of guns being shot at deer. I used to gun hunt and don't hate gun hunters although I now exclusively bow hunt for deer - even during the gun seasons. What I dislike is some of the hunters around here that follow the, "if it's brown, it's down" philosophy. Rickmur and I overheard conversations on opening day of hunters around us who didn't even know the sex of the deer they were shooting at. One hunters was heard to say, " oh, I thought it was a big doe. Good thing I didn't hit it. I probably hit one of the branches that was in the way." This idiot was shooting at what his friend said was a small buck and he was shooting through a bunch of branches at a running deer that he thinks he missed -- I bet he never went over to check. After hunters like this shoot at deer for 39 days, it's very hard for bowhunters to go back out and even SEE a deer, much less get one to come in close enough during daylight hours to get a high percentage shot.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Northern zone NY is really long. The rifle season there goes from 10/18, to 12/7.........8 weeks long. There is also a muzzleloader season that goes from 10/11 to 10/17, and parts of the zone where muzzleloaders go again from 12/8 to 12/14.

Southern zone is not quite as bad. That goes from 11/15 to 12/7, and then muzzleloaders from 12/8 to 12/16.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vito1

I think the bigger question is not how long the firearms seasons are, but WHEN. Having a firearm season during the peak of the rut is not a good idea in MI. At least southern MI. High deer numbers and the majority of the harvest every year is antlered bucks. It will never change though because it's tradition.
Your rightVito, thats on of the reasons Ky. B&C #'s are high and P&Y #'s are low.

32days total, 1 modern gun throughout the rut.[:@]
2 muzzleloader, one early and one late.
2 youth hunts, one early and one late.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is easier for me.

Tennessee:

Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arkansas (my favorite)

Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really need to buy some land in Arkansas!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I really need to buy some land in Arkansas!
There ya go! Hey Greg, if you want to bow hunt after your season is finished, come on over for a three day weekend hunt if you still need morevenison in your freezer.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends where In Minnesota. In my zone there Is a 9 day season for shotguns starting November 8th to November 16th. ML season- November 29th to December 14th.

24 days total In my area.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

TOO LONG!!!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.