Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long is the gun season in your State ?

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

NJ is ridiculous. 65 Days
I'll agree, this is crazy! I'll guarantee you one thing, if Illinois had a gun season this long, there would not be any big bucks like we've got now! Too bad you guys couldn't get this changed.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

2 long
Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

just shy of 2 months, right through the rut. Oct 10-Dec 1 ...Idaho's DNR up here in the North is all about how much $ they can bring in. They care nothing about managing for quality whitetails or elk for that matter. With the boom in population up here and the very liberal gun seasons, I see our quality of deer and elk hunting only to decline year in and year out. We even have SPIKE only seasons on bulls in units where the cows out number the bulls 30 or 40 to 1 ... its a complete joke.

Spike only?! Never heard of such a thing, who's the genius that came up with that one!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I hate it when people make comments like this.[:'(]
Magic, I'm not a softy...Tell me what you dont like about it.

But, lets face it- as bowhunters we generally hunt 98% with bow and go out on occasion with a firearm.
Most bowhunters do NOT hunt very often with a firearm...Nothing wrong with that. In my experience, most of the bowhutners that I know only really bowhunt.

I love my muzzleloader, slug gun and my waterfowl guns. Thing is, I have little desire to gun hunt. I think people see guns as a way to get done what they've failed to do with a bow.
I can see where you may have an issue with this statement...I'm not looking to bash, it's just how I see things. In different areas, it may not be true. But in NJ, you see these guys go out with a bow day in and day out, come out with nothing...you'll hear the excuses...Then, when firearms season rolls in, the same guys are dragging out 1.5yo 5pointers....Like I said, just my experience. Let me add...That same guy dragging out that 1.5yo5 pointer or 100" 2.5yo pointer, will be the FIRST guy to complain that there are no big bucks. Drives me crazy...HE is the reason !

I'm not anti-gun hunting...I just wouldnt go out of my way to support or lenghten the season..I'm speaking strictly from a buck quality point, here.
DropTine, I don't want to debate this. I just don't like the generalizations. I love each season. Bow, rifle, ML and I would like to break down bow into different catagories. Early , rut, and late season. Each has it's own challenges and I get an opertunity to employ different tactics with each. It's enjoyable for me to be able to mix it up a bit. I can understand some of your frustrations but your last statement is not true for all and it's damaging to our sport.
Though you "have little desire to gun hunt" it's not fair to those of us who do.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperRedHawk

ORIGINAL: shed33

just shy of 2 months, right through the rut. Oct 10-Dec 1 ...Idaho's DNR up here in the North is all about how much $ they can bring in. They care nothing about managing for quality whitetails or elk for that matter. With the boom in population up here and the very liberal gun seasons, I see our quality of deer and elk hunting only to decline year in and year out. We even have SPIKE only seasons on bulls in units where the cows out number the bulls 30 or 40 to 1 ... its a complete joke.

Spike only?! Never heard of such a thing, who's the genius that came up with that one!
Super, my feelings exactly, it is simply another way to the Idaho Fish and Game to generate more $ ... its a 9day season right after our 2 month long rifle season .. at least they could have made it for COWS Only.. not young bulls whom are young and dumb in the first place and our ratios are horrible.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Bartender

You got it Todd and for CWD add Dec 24th-Jan 4th for earn a buck season.
ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Wis: First of all it I should consult my lawyer. Thats almost what you need to understand the laws here.
In a nutshell:
oct antlerless only 4 day season
Nov 9 day rifle season
followed by a 10 day ML season
then another 4 day antlerless only season
Unless your in CWD zone. Which is a lot of the southern part of the state. Don't ask me what the seasons are there. It's basically an all out slaughter. They don't call it an eradication zone for nothing!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, 9 days of killing spikes, that is horrible. Do people really want to kill a spike that much more than a cow?
I would think a cow only season would generate as much revenue, if not more?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.