Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DIY elk hunting tips >

DIY elk hunting tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY elk hunting tips

Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DIY elk hunting tips

Where I elk hunt there Isn't no way your walking back and forth 14 miles every day back to your spike camp. Your going to be much more wore out doing that. Where we park the truck Is as far as vehicles can go and besides we can't hunt there anyway. We don't use a tarp Don, we pack 2 two man tents In- one for storage and one for sleeping In. The last time I hunted the mountains In Montana I had 95lbs on my pack, my cousin had 90lbs on his on our 7 mile hike In. We packed everything In our back packs. Trust me, It can be done. My dad did this same exact thing for 20 years straight elk hunting In Colorado. Once we get to our same spot we always camp at the fun begins. It's work but It's well worth It. Who said elk hunting Is easy? Your but will be In shape when the hunt Is over.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

You are heartier than me buddy...95# isn't going on my back for 7 miles in IA walking down our flat landscape with no hills, let alone the thin mountain air, and up and down steep terrain. I am glad there are guys like you though, so that you kick the elk out and push them back to the1-5 mile away from the truck where I am hunting.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lol Don!! At least you've been successful elk hunting. I'm 0 for 6!!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

lol..I would be 2 with a recurve..maybe you are just too woreout to hunt once u lug all of that stuff back there..lol j/k
Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget a good map and compass and the knowledge to use them. Let someone know where you will be, maybe even the local game warden if they're available.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Don't forget a good map and compass and the knowledge to use them. Let someone know where you will be, maybe even the local game warden if they're available.
Exactly...if no one is looking for you and you are by yourself and not checking in regularly with friends or family, remember that the human body can only go about 3-4 days with no water and a broken leg and no one looking for you is bad news. These types of hunts should not be done by yourself IMO...unless you make an agreement with your family or friends to call in every 3-4 days. Remember that cell phones will not work where you are elk hunting..they didn't on my hunts anyway.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

Where are all of the elk hunters??