Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog hunting tips?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 AM

Default Hog hunting tips?

I just found this site and today is day #2 on it. I am overseas but return in June and am looking for a place to hog hunt in Missouri or Arkansas, researching places now. I have hunted all my life, processed my own game but neverhunted a hog yet. Is most of the meat good to keep or what do most of you keep? Do you normally hunt early mornings/late evenings or all day long? Certain places like near water/timber or any useful tips would be appreciated. I am currently looking at Mark Twain Nat'l forrest in Missouri only because it is closer. Thanks. this is a great website.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default RE: Hog hunting tips?

x645,

A little scouting goes a long way.
First light has always been best for me.
If baiting is allowed thats the way to go. Pigs are very mobile.

I'll write something up tonight for you.

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Default Boar Dog

Large boar hogs seem to have a musky smell when you cook them there are tricks to get it out but a fat piggy sow is the best hog meat you can get also hunting with dogs is an extreme rush visit my site www.hogrustlers.net to see pics and a video soon.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Default RE: Boar Dog

i don't know much about hunting in missouri an the mark twain is really big. but south west arkansas along the oklahoma line has some awesome! hog hunting an you can get some really good deals on hunts
Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boar Dog

In California, we go after the meat hogs most of all, a way better quality of pork than you could possibly get in any store. As for the large ones...they are a little on the strong side of the taste spectrum , but sometimes we take them anyway. We can't bait in California, so it alot of scouting and spot & stalk. Here sunrise has always been more productive,but the last one we took in the Los Padres NF was taken at 2:00pm.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: x645

Is most of the meat good to keep or what do most of you keep?
We keep all that weigh between 50 and 75 lbs dressed. The big ones are uaually dog food.
Do you normally hunt early mornings/late evenings or all day long?
Early morning or Late afternoon
Certain places like near water/timber or any useful tips would be appreciated.
No water, no hogs...
Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Spike

I thought evening was better if hunting over bait. Since they are mostly nocturnal it is hard to get into your stand before they are already there in the morning. In the evening you can more easily beat them to your stand. In my experience this seems to be true, but then again I have not hunted them that much. But every time I have tried to hunt them in the morning they were already there and ran off before I could get to my stand, or even get a shot.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: muslmutt

I thought evening was better if hunting over bait. Since they are mostly nocturnal it is hard to get into your stand before they are already there in the morning. In the evening you can more easily beat them to your stand. In my experience this seems to be true, but then again I have not hunted them that much. But every time I have tried to hunt them in the morning they were already there and ran off before I could get to my stand, or even get a shot.
I never hunted Hogs from a stand!....I will stalk them or use the Dogs.....
Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Spike

I have stalked them, but never had the opportunity to hunt anything with dogs.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ducksmoker, I live in North Central AR and am interested in what you said about the South West "along the oklahoma line has some awesome! hog hunting an you can get some really good deals on hunts" More info especally some contacts would be appriciated.