Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

HUNTING TIPS

Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default HUNTING TIPS

List any of your favorite hunting tips if you like,I'll start.
When black bear hunting I usually only take rope and my packsaw to get my bears out whole.I cut two long poles and three short ones about 3-4 foot long after I gut my bear I lash the three shorter pieces onto the long ones to make a drag and tie the bear on and skid em out.It actually works pretty good,
Elkshed
Old 08-09-2006, 03:14 PM

Default RE: HUNTING TIPS

I did the same once with elk quarters. Good one!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

While hunting light,Instead of packing a couple of knives and a stone or steel I like to take one of those utility knives.I don't have to sharpen it and there is spare blades in the handle.Works good for bonning out your meat and if you lose it you are only out a couple of bucks.
Elkshed
Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 AM

i go for walks every weekend starting in late august till season starts. then i try to get up to camp early and spend a few day's walkin. the walks get longer as time goes on.the day's and nights spent in the mountains help me acclimate to the altitude. this year im gonna try to cut some pretty big wood by hand in the back yard too ta get in shape.

early
Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Pre-season scouting is very important in consistantly harvesting an animal.It can clue you in on bedding areas,feeding areas game trails and water holes.For elk I like to glass from the ridge tops from a distance in the evening,the elk are generally in the same area in the morning.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Elk are on my mind, I've got cold sweats. My lady thinks I've gone crazy. She just doesn't understand. She always tells me that I need to share my feelings with her. She says I need to open up more.

Just last night we were watching a movie together snuggled up on the couch. Now I'm a pretty thick skinned guy and even if something makes me emotional I can usually hide it but this movie just made me cry. Tears were coming down my face. So as I turned off Primos Truth 9 Big Bulls, my lady told me to talk to her and tell her how I was feeling. She had that soft lady tone and told me what ever it was she would listen while she softly wiped away my tears. Guys you know what I'm talking about, even a hard man can't resist that. I told her how excited I was to chase buglin bulls and muleys.Nearly instantly Igot the blank stare. I told her about my elk honey hole and what my strategy was and how I would hunt these critters. I told her about getting so close I could hear the snot dripping out of a rutting bulls nose. I told her about the 3 draws I hunt and how I would hunt them. I opened up to her about my feelings more last night than I had in a long time. Just when I felt like I had shared all my feelings, I thought she would explode in tears and embrace me and we would skip out the door and she'd go right out in the field with me to shoot my bow. Instead she got up and walked away and said, "you're an idiot."

Last night as I was watching this show I thought about one of my favorite elk hunting tactics. If a bull is with his cows and doesn't want to leave them get as close as you can. Get within 50 yds if you can. Grunt, bugle and rake a tree. If you are close enough and he feels threatened he will probably come to fight off the intruding bull.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

Elk are on my mind, I've got cold sweats. My lady thinks I've gone crazy. She just doesn't understand. She always tells me that I need to share my feelings with her. She says I need to open up more.

Just last night we were watching a movie together snuggled up on the couch. Now I'm a pretty thick skinned guy and even if something makes me emotional I can usually hide it but this movie just made me cry. Tears were coming down my face. So as I turned off Primos Truth 9 Big Bulls, my lady told me to talk to her and tell her how I was feeling. She had that soft lady tone and told me what ever it was she would listen while she softly wiped away my tears. Guys you know what I'm talking about, even a hard man can't resist that. I told her how excited I was to chase buglin bulls and muleys.Nearly instantly Igot the blank stare. I told her about my elk honey hole and what my strategy was and how I would hunt these critters. I told her about getting so close I could hear the snot dripping out of a rutting bulls nose. I told her about the 3 draws I hunt and how I would hunt them. I opened up to her about my feelings more last night than I had in a long time. Just when I felt like I had shared all my feelings, I thought she would explode in tears and embrace me and we would skip out the door and she'd go right out in the field with me to shoot my bow. Instead she got up and walked away and said, "you're an idiot."
That is some good and funny stuff right there. I know exactly what you mean.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Listen man, seriously, you need to expand that thread a little and try to get it published in a magazine. That is absolutely magazine-worthy, the angle (guy showing his sensitive side) is brilliant, and overall the funniest thing I've read on here in many moons. Congrats and thanks for the laugh.

Hunting tip: stolen from a Bugle magazine publication, many of us use electrician's tape to cover our rifle muzzle, well, go ahead and tape a length of thread to the barrel with the same piece of tape for a wind indicator.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

many of us use electrician's tape to cover our rifle muzzle,
what for?????

thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM

while hunting in general....always ALWAYS let someone know where you are! Pretty basic, but pretty durn important

-Travis-

Quick Reply: HUNTING TIPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.