Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow strings

Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow strings

Hey all, i havent been bowhunting for long so i got a question about my strings. How long does a typical string on a compund last if it is taken care of. Im in college away from home so i shoot my bow everyweekend when i go home, so its gets regular use. Also what are some tell tale signs that the strings are starting to go bad( beside snapping)lol. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Bow strings

Just keep some bowstring wax on it and it should be fine for a while. Personally, I'll probably get mine restrung next season or two.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I replace my string every year. I do a lot of shooting, between 3D shoot and getting ready for the season. I know some guys wait longer, some change more often.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its pretty funny you asked this. I have the original string on a compound I bought about 14 years ago (maybe 15) I haven't shot it ever year as I went to shooting traditional for a while. It sat for a couple years unshot.

I don't shoot 3D but I do keep wax on my strings. And shoot a far amount. I've recently replaced the bow with a newer one for other reasons. However I believe my string is ok.

That being said. I don't recomend waiting that long. Strings are pretty cheap. So its cheap insurance to protect you expensive bow and you person too. As if it goes so could your limbs etc. Not worth the risk. some people say every year or two. I think your ok beyond that. Maybe 4 -5 years. But I believe most people upgrade their bows around then.

As for signs its going. Any fraying is an obvious one. Wax helps but is not a fix all and kind of covers the problem.
Most strings are far stronger than they need to be. Thats one reason they last so long. The strength of one or two strands is probably enough to hold the weight. But you aint going to catch me trying that.

I make my own hand twisted(flemish twist)Trad strings. I haven't had one fail and won't risk one of my bows if I though one could.

Bottom line you should have a few years unless your shooting a ton. If you decide to change sooner...its up to you.