Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes field notes/journals?? >

Who takes field notes/journals??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes field notes/journals??

Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Who takes field notes/journals??

I'm like Greg. I like being able to say (without guessing) how many of each animal (age/sex) I saw last year....2006....etc... . I like being able to recall the dates I took bucks on (although I can do that off the top of my head). I like knowing how many deer I avg. seeing/sit.

Do I use it to tell me where to hunt? Heck NO. Do I take note if a particular spot was "hot" at a particular time of year? Yep. Would it make me chance a wind to go in there? No.

It's just interesting fodder, for me. And you're right.....3 yrs from now....if I'm hunting the same property....it won't aid me at all (other than trivially).
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Just trying to show you it isn't "anal", Dave.

"Anal" is re-using a depends you only No. 1'd in to save $$.
Nahh, that's not anal. That's just going GREEN

or maybe yellow?[:'(]
Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Things in my journal:
1. Date and time (morning/evening)
2. # of does seen, # of bucks seen
3. Stand site location

4. Any other special notes I feel should be included. I see turkeys on almost every hunt so I never write that down, but I usually write down predator sightings because I am trying to get ready to hunt them this winter.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

I always said if/when I bought another harley....I'd buy an electraglide std. and NEVER wash it (and I mean that).

I just thought it was ironic you mentioned harley riders and making something simple and relaxing......work. World's worst (as a community). Gettingdressed for a normal, Sunday ride is probably more of a productionto thecommon harley rider than it is for a broadway musical.

They're likely to be heard exclaiming.................."Is my 'live free or die' showing?"...as their big wife on the back says... "Yes"....."Now Get back in line, Stan".

I don't know Jeff. Sounds like your riding with the wrong people. I have been ridin something or another since I was a sperm. I haverode Harley D's AMF's,EVO's, and now twinkies.If you make the mistake and ride with HOG, I can see what you are seeing. But if you ride with ABATE or the more traditional riders, I don't see this.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

You guys that keep journals, do you hunt several different properties? I hunt one of 3 (usually one of 2 properties) depending on wind, how much time I have, etc. One of the properties I pretty much know when and where to hunt it, the other 2 I'm still learning. I could see where it could help the first few years when you are getting used to the travel patterns, but after that, it would seem like work to me.
Yes I have a few properties that I hunt.
No it really does not help my hunting at all, but It does help me look back on fun hunts and compare this years sightings to previous year.I do it for fun.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I never rode with the HOG chapter. I didin't like people telling me where we were going....what time we were gonna be there......what time we would leave.....etc.... Sounds to much like a cruise ship to me.

I had a group of about 10 of us who rode (not all together....all the time).....or I just rode, alone (which was great, sometimes). I hear ya about the HOG chapters. Freakin joke IMO (At least they are, here). It's a rollingbike/fashion show.

I might have been riding with the "wrong people".....lol...but it's not for the reasons you cite.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 AM
bigcountry

I never rode with the HOG chapter. I didin't like people telling me where we were going....what time we were gonna be there......what time we would leave.....etc.... Sounds to much like a cruise ship to me.

I had a group of about 10 of us who rode (not all together....all the time).....or I just rode, alone (which was great, sometimes). I hear ya about the HOG chapters. Freakin joke IMO (At least they are, here). It's a rollingbike/fashion show.

I might have been riding with the "wrong people".....lol...but it's not for the reasons you cite.
How long did you ride Jeff? I thought I remember you saying you only rode like one year or something?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I rode a crotch rocket for a few years in the late 80's (Interceptor 1000).....and bought my first FLSTF in 2001. I bought a FLHRC and sold the Fat Boy. I sold the Road King Classic in 2004.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 AM
bigcountry

Ok, I see, so you have only road twinkies? I can see how you have developed your views on the fashion show.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I too keep a detailed journal, and use Excel for it.

Extremely useful tool for me. Interesting, too.

Quick Reply: Who takes field notes/journals??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.