Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mounting a Buck????????? >

Mounting a Buck?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounting a Buck?????????

Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mounting a Buck?????????

I do not have any deer mounted as I have never shot one nice enough in my 12yrs of hunting to consider a mount so my question is, to most from the "known" states/areas is why does it SEEM that you mount everything??

I dont know exactly what you all put on the wall, but what does it take for you to say " Hey this ones gonna be in my livinroom"?? It seems that most everyone here, there deer are waiting to be finished by the Taxidermist?? I live in an area where a 110" buck would be a MONSTER, so if I kill a deer from 100" up it will most likely go on the wall(be it with the bow)..... but some of you I see from Ill, Iowa, Ohio, etc... I have seen some of your collections of deer that have been posted, but yet you still seem to put just about every deer kill on the wall(IT SEEMS)????? SOOOO what is it that makes a deer "special" to ya to consider mountable???

Is it something?? Or do you just like to "Show Off" to your buddies?? Honest Question?????

Ex: If I were to kill a mature nice 100" buck with my rifle here in westernmd, I dont believe I would mount it, but if I were to kill the same buck with my bow he would probably(most likely)be a wall ornament for me!!! I dont know why, but I DEFINANTELY see more pride for taking an animal with the bow rather then with the gun?? That would be my deciding factor!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mounting a Buck?????????

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

Ex: If I were to kill a mature nice 100" buck with my rifle here in westernmd, I dont believe I would mount it, but if I were to kill the same buck with my bow he would probably(most likely)be a wall ornament for me!!! I dont know why, but I DEFINANTELY see more pride for taking an animal with the bow rather then with the gun?? That would be my deciding factor!!!

My question is, why take that animal?

When I shoot a buck it's going on the wall. Reason being, I won't shoot a buck that I wouldn't put on my wall. I have my standards set on what I will and will not shoot. For me it is anything over 135". If it doesn't meet that standard I have set for myself then I simply do not shoot. With that being said, I have not put a deer on my wall since 2005. Have I had my chances at deer under 135"? To many to count in the last three seasons.

To put this simply, if I shoot a buck it's going on my wall because I know it's the animal that I wanted to harvest and I owe it to that buck to have him mounted. This is for my satisfaction and I could care less what anyone else thinks of whats on my wall.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

2Lunger~~ Thank ya thats the kind of answer I was wondering!!

Now to answer your question on WHY would I shoot that buck~~~

I would shoot that buck because I WILL be satisfied(under statement) of that buck but I also am not out "trophy hunting" when it comes to rifle hunting, I am mainly meat hunting at that point!!

Nowwwwwww...another question that relates to my original, if you were to shoot 2-3 similair 135" bucks would you mount them all because that is your goal???

Old 12-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

2Lunger~~ Thank ya thats the kind of answer I was wondering!!

Now to answer your question on WHY would I shoot that buck~~~

I would shoot that buck because I WILL be satisfied(under statement) of that buck but I also am not out "trophy hunting" when it comes to rifle hunting, I am mainly meat hunting at that point!!

Nowwwwwww...another question that relates to my original, if you were to shoot 2-3 similair 135" bucks would you mount them all because that is your goal???
You better believe it! If I shoot 3 bucks that all score 135 3/8" we'll say, all three will get mounted because all three of them met my goal and all three of them are special to me and all three of them deserve equal space on my wall.

Now, back to my question. If you are satisfied with that buck and you are looking to put something on your wall then why not mount him?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can offer up an answer for him as well as me. I have hunted those mountains of Western Md for many years where he is hunting and a 110 inch deer is a rarity and a real trophy for that area. BTW, I don't hunt there anymore, too old for them hills. 2-Lunger, we all aren't lucky enough to live in an area (Ill)such as you so our standards are set lower. Hope you can understand that.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one deer on my wall mounted. A 153 inch 10 point I shot with a Shotgun. I used to hunt in MD in Frederich Watershed. I killed my first buck there. A forkhorn I killed at 20 feet on the ground with my bow. If I had had the money at the time I would have mounted him. Instead I have the skull plate on a plack.

I simply cannot afford to mount every buck I get. Though since I'm in Ohio and killed my 10 point my standards have gone up a bit. I'd rather shoot a mature doe than a young buck. My standard with a bow are lower than with a gun. If a 110" buck gives me a shot with a bow I may take it. Just depends. I haven't taken as nice of a deer with my bow so I would be tempted. Would I mount it...probably not a shoulder mount. but a Euro or a plack...oh yeah.

To each his own..if you can kill big deer every year and afford to mount them, more power to you. My wife would kill me if I shot a mountable buck every year! LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I can offer up an answer for him as well as me. I have hunted those mountains of Western Md for many years where he is hunting and a 110 inch deer is a rarity and a real trophy for that area. BTW, I don't hunt there anymore, too old for them hills. 2-Lunger, we all aren't lucky enough to live in an area (Ill)such as you so our standards are set lower. Hope you can understand that.
Rick, you took that the wrong way. I know that is a trophy in your neck of the woods. His exact words was that he would shoot that deer with a rifle, but would not mount it. On the other hand, if he was to shoot that same deer with a bow he would be satisfied with putting that buck on the wall. My question to him was, if he is not going to be satisfied with that buck taken with a rifle, then why take him at all?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

My bad
Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ex: If I were to kill a mature nice 100" buck with my rifle here in westernmd, I dont believe I would mount it, but if I were to kill the same buck with my bow he would probably(most likely)be a wall ornament for me!!!
Hey Hey, careful now, you're starting to label yourself asan elitist or purist. -or- (however people want to take that)Even though you didn't say anything about how you thought that was superior over another guy's methods... Watch your back man!

I dont know why,
but I DEFINANTELY see more pride for taking an animal with the bow rather then with the gun?? That would be my deciding factor!!!
Yes you do, you just said it in that very same sentence. You feel as I do that a buck killed with a bow will mean more to you. I've further evolved my conviction to include not shooting a big buck with my high powered rifle. It's not for many people but it isfor me. I feel more pride and experience more joy when I use a bow.

To answer your thread question?... I will mount a buck if it carries significant or special meaning to me. In October I shot a small 9 with lots of character. I was also hunting with my brother in law whom I'd seen grow up before my very eyes since the age of 2 to 18. We tracked that buck together and dragged it out of the swamp together. That memorie along with the buck is what I'm putting on the wall. I shot another 8 but this one was mature and field dressed 220. I outsmarted him and earned myselfthat shot. He is at the taxi as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't matter to me. If I shoot one with a bow or gun that I think looks good enough for the wall then it goes on the wall. I have two on the wall around 115-120 but they are non typicals and to me they look really nice. So it's all your eyes.. I won't shoot small bucks personally but if I think it looks good on the wall then I'll shoot..

Quick Reply: Mounting a Buck?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.