Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mounting a Buck????????? >

Mounting a Buck?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounting a Buck?????????

Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mounting a Buck?????????

Everybody all ready answered the ? but I will say I will only kill a buck that I will mount if I kill it i am mounting it. Now to put a number on it I will not do, It is the buck the size sometimeshow wierdit is sometimes alot of different reasons I might shoot a buck and mount it not just numbers.Walt
Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Site Buck Guru

Maybe you could use me as an example. When I got my first nice 8 pointer, about 96", I had it mounted. As time went on, my goals changed and I wanted a P&Y. I decided that I would mount any buck that grossed 125 " or over. I didn't think I would get a whole lot of them.As years went by and I was being successful more than I had thought, I asked myself........ Are you going to keep mounting these things!!??

I answered "Yes". Now I had two reasons. The most important reason being that each of the mature bucks I've taken were unique and individual and gave me great feelings of happiness. Each hunt was special. For that, I have them mounted. I enjoy looking at them and rekindling memories of their hunt.

The second reason is just my sense of humor [&:]............ I'm trying for as many as I can so that when I go, my son has to deal with them. He'd better find himself a very understanding woman! [:-]

If I can get caught up on these, I'll have 18 mounts, one is the GF's. My son took his two when he moved out.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Damn Greg, that 3rd one from the left on the top row is awesome to say the least, not that all of them arn't but that one stood out.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

I like top row 3rd from left best. Great lookin mounts tho, all of them.

EDIT: dang someone already beat me to it. Rickmur you have great taste!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ooopsies dp
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mount everything!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

I mount everything!
that walks...

by your treestand right?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

I mount everything!
that walks...

by your treestand right?
You got it dude.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 AM

I mount everything!

[:-]

Just depends on the deer for me. I rifle killed a 118" buck in 2004 and had it mounted as a huge deer to me, then. This year, I killed my first bow buck 92", and opted for a Euro mount instead. I am 10x more proud of the smaller bowkill (for many more reasons than just the weapon used), but I only wanted a Euro mount from it.

I think my deciding factor from here on out is if it will gross P&Y, if so..I'll mount it...if not, probably just a Euro mount.

Another thing to consider, is out of state kills. If you kill a deer in a CWD state (maybe any state), you can't bring back the entire head for a Euro mount...They believe CWD is carried in brain tissue and bone marrow...so the only bone you can bring home has to be cleaned of any soft tissue (skull cap). If I kill a buck and have to do a skull cap..it is getting mounted regardless. I personally don't like doing only the skull caps, so for me..it is Euro or Shoulder mount.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again guys, these are all the kind of answers I was wondering!!

2Lunger~~~ I did answer your question? I said I would be more then happy to shoot a buck of that size, but would not have a sense of pride as I would with my bow in hand!! In other words for me from Sept 15th til the end of Nov it is all hunting patterns, sign, etc... for a big buck trying to get him within 20yrds of me. Then when gun season comes in I do not think of the trophy factor anymore, it is more for the deer bologna,jerky, roasts, etc...! I personally feel the "passion" is gone when I have the gun in my hand, BUT it is an easy way(generally) to stock up the freezer!! I hope this answers your question!!!!???

RickMur~~ Thanks for trying to answer the question for me, it is nice to relate to someone that knows exactly what deer and areaI am hunting for reference!!

JasonL~~ I couldnt afford it either buddy!! No way no how!!

Hoyttail~~ Thank ya for deciphering the answer out of there for me..haha!! I knew I was bouncing around it someway or another!! I guess I do sound like an elitist here, but that is definantely not the case!! I was just curious???

GregH~~ Haha....that is definantely the kind of answer I was looking for!! I told myself x number of yrs ago I was mounting everything over 125" but then it occured to me that I just wanna be a prick to my son!! Thats awesome!!! BUT..you realize he will probably have a big yardsale when your gone..[8D]!!

NY/AL~~ Pervert!!!!

TEmbry~~ Thats a logical answer!! ~~125" or better= wall.......... but be careful your housecould end up looking like GregH's(ya hope)!!

Quick Reply: Mounting a Buck?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.