Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The speed bow controversy >

The speed bow controversy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The speed bow controversy

Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The speed bow controversy

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I personally don't care how fast anyone elses bow is. I have a question. I will admit that I know very little about the function of these newer bows. Here's my question: Can I assume that the faster the arrow flys the more critical it is to have your entire setup perfectly tuned? It makes sense to me that something flying thru the air at 300 ft/sec. would be affected by any minor difference between broadheads, arrow weights, etc. compared to something traveling 250 ft/sec. Does anyone notice an accuracy problem with faster bows? At what speed does this become real critical? Is there a speed where we will have to wind tunnel test every arrow to get consistant arrow flight? Or do I need to stop typing and go back to my bottle of Windsor?[8D]

yes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me, shootability and how smooth a bow shoots are the most important factors. I have shot some of the speed bows, and found them to be rather rough and a little jerky. I would rather sacrafice fps for the smoothness.

One of my good friends though is a speed junky though. He wants to fastest bow to man, and wants to ensure that his arrow reaches his target as fast as possible. He shoots just fine with his setup. To each his own I guess, and what each archer feels comfortable with.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like speed but I don't thrive on it.

Firm believer that you don't need 3D leagues to be the best of the best...

I carry a range finder..and I shoot deer in open fields with low wind out to 50 yards...only on occasion..I have not wounded one yet...so I'm guessing my ability to pay attention to detail has paid off...

You gotta know your equipment...its like throwing a baseball with dad when you were a kid..

Key word "Confidence" ...if you have a doubt? Don't release.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Spike

The only benefitof speed is to the bow companies, faster bow=higher price. Plain and simple.
About the time the speed bows started coming out the price was increasing just as fast as the fps.